Burner software

Dumpy

Hey everyone :eek:

just curious about a new DVD RW ( Lite-On 16X DVD Dual Drive, Model SOHW-1633S Black, Retail ) I just purchased. I want to make backups of all my DVDs but was told I may have trouble because of the encryption. The burner came with Nero. I just want to know if I am going to be able to burn exact copies of my DVDs with Nero or will I have to look for other software. I did find a program called DVD Cloner II which says it can do it but dayuuuuuuuum :eek: I already spent a load trying to get everything to build this system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dumpy :eek:

Dumpy

GREETINGS

just curious about a new DVD RW ( Lite-On 16X DVD Dual Drive, Model SOHW-1633S Black, Retail ) I just purchased. I want to make backups of all my DVDs but was told I may have trouble because of the encryption. The burner came with Nero. I just want to know if I am going to be able to burn exact copies of my DVDs with Nero or will I have to look for other software. I did find a program called DVD Cloner II which says it can do it but dayuuuuuuuum I already spent a load trying to get everything to build this system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dumpy

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Depends how you want to "back it up" and if there is protection and how you want to approach that protection. The easiest route would probably be DVDDecryptor/SmartRipper followed by DVDSHrink or AnyDVD or CloneDVD2 but again it depends what you mean by "backup" as well as whether you are trying to backup a DVD9 (as opposed to DVD5) disk and if so, how you want to approach that

Dumpy

Well I would like to make exact copies of DVDs which I bought from Walmart Bestbuy etc. I haven't really check what format they are but am sure there are some that are some DVD 9 and DVD5 I just don't want to have to span them across mulitple disk unless they came in a 2 disk set

Last edited:

aqsg72

<b>VIP Member</b>
Your burner does support dual layer burning, so you can theoretically copy a dvd, however, DVD encryption is a problem so you need a program like DVD Decrypter: http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

This will allow you to make a burn-able image (with nero for example ;) from a retail dvd, however you would require a dual layer DVD-R in order to burn this [expensive!]. What I would personally recommend is using a transcoder like DVD Shrink http://www.dvdshrink.org/ to downsample the quality (fairly neglible decrease in quality) in order to make an ISO ~4400MB so that an ordinary DVD-R can be burned. [DVD Shrink is essentially a 1-click-solution program] There are other methods but for speed weighed against quality the general consensus is that DVD Shrink is the best solution :)

Dumpy

thanks for the info

I figure DVD-R would be expensive :eek: but prefer the quality that I would expect to get from it. :p I had the the files you have talked about I just need to give them a whirl. I guess the best thing to do would be put all this hardware together first and then go from there. :rolleyes:

Once again thanks

Dumpy