Burnin' an ISO file - or tryin' anyway

novicegeek

I'm trying to burn an ISO file using the Windows 10 burning program, with one of those fancy DVD ROMs that can read or write any disc media, but when I try to burn it, it says, "There is no recordable disc in your disc burner. Insert a blank recordable disc, and then try again." Grrrrr

So I do that, right? I mean, I insert another CD in there, or a DVD+, and it says the same thing.

Do you know what a body is to do about this?

Thanks.

novicegeek

It is, indeed, a new drive. and I have two of them on my desktop, both the same kind. They are both a LG GH24NSC0.

Darren

Staff member
Might sound weird but go into Device Manager and under IDE/ATA Adapters you should find an entry or a few for a SATA controller. Right click on and uninstall all of them and reboot. I've had this fix this problem several times where the drives wouldn't be recognized properly, even if the drive showed up in File Explorer.

If the above doesn't work, try different software, like IMGBurn?

Do the drive(s) show up in file explorer, able to read discs thru them?

novicegeek

Yes, both drives show up in file explorer, and I'm able to put other CDs in there, and they work fine as far as being read. I'll give these methods a shot and see what happens.

Thank you.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure there is no data already on the drive as well. I've seen this happen too. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the eye that detects dvd's is bad

novicegeek

I believe it might have had something on each disc I was using (and maybe formatting them was the problem). Anyway, I followed the instructions (it changed my drive letters, and one drive doesn't show up now, but I'll fix that), and I went the IMGBurn route. I believe I have a disc with an ISO file on it now.

Thanks to all, and to all a good night!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Even if there was a tad bit of data on the disc, then it would say that. The software is looking for an empty disc. You don't need to format the discs before burning. If they are dvdrw, try erasing them and see if they still work.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
I had this problem at work when we were selling DVD-RW's with their own encryption software on them. Not sure I ever got one to actually burn and play properly.

Sidenote. Why are you still using discs? :p Flash drives are super cheap and reusable for burnable ISO's.

novicegeek

Mission accomplished. I've got a working copy of the ISO on my disc.

Note to sidenote: Well, I got the disc drives, and a lot of CDs & DVDs lying around, so I thought I'd employ them. Don't get me wrong, I've got about 24 flash drives, but it seems that all of them have things on them, and I'm too lazy to transfer files to free one up. Although I appreciate your concern about getting me up to date, it gets worse... I've never managed to part with my floppy disks! I have several. :D I'm a nostalgic sort, I guess.