burning DVDs and CD quality

WhiteFireDragon

if my drive is capable if burning dvds at 20x and CDs at 48x, would burning it at max speed lower the quality? and would that result in a higher chance of error and a bad burn? or should i burn at a lower speed to lessen the risk of failure and have better quality?

also, would quality be lower if i took a burned music CD and burned another one off of that as opposed to burning directly from the original CD?

sho95

Trick questions. It all depends on the burner you got and the media you use. Verbatim and toyo yuden are one of the best. Some media quality is better at faster burns speeds. If you got important documents I would suggest to burn 2 disk at different speeds that way if one fails the other one should be good. DVD's I would burn at no lover than 8x and 12 max. and cd's no lower than 16x. Let me know what burner you got I may be able to help you out on the best deals on media.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Basically, it's a matter of convenience vs quality.

I can burn DVDs and DVD+RWs at max speed (4x...yay) with no problems. But with audio CDs, I find that if I burn much faster than 24x or 32x, I get occasional verifying errors or sound dropouts on the stereo. Data CDs I can burn up to 40x with no problems at all. Go figure.

What I did over the years was start at the slowest speeds, and worked my way up to faster burn rates until I started having problems, then backed down. Some burn speeds aren't as fast as I'd like or my drive is capable of, but then again, I don't have to worry about errors.

For DVD-R, I use TDK.
DVD+RW, Memorex.
CD-R and CD-RW, I've used Imation, TDK, HP, and Philips.
Anything by Sony coughs up coasters.

Tom

Last edited:

WhiteFireDragon

i have THIS samsung 20x dvd burner, THIS LG 18x dvd burner, Dynex dvd media, and GQ cd media if that helps

and what does "lightscribe" and "super multi" features do? do they improve the quality of the burns?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Burning at faster speeds has nothing to do with the quality, but your more likely to run into buffer overruns- read or write errors. So if you burn at max you'll have more frisbees to throw. But if it makes it all the way through the burn at max with no errors then the quality will be the same as it would at the slowest speed.

sho95

dznutz

Basically, it's a matter of convenience vs quality.

For DVD-R, I use TDK.
DVD+RW, Memorex.
CD-R and CD-RW, I've used Imation, TDK, HP, and Philips.
Anything by Sony coughs up coasters.

Tom

current tdk, memorex, phillips meida are made by the same company if it's made in taiwan and are considered average to below average media.

made in taiwan sony's is considered above average. made in japan sony's are top notch (made by either taiyo yuden or sony).

for more information on which dvdr media is better check this forum out:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f76/
there's a section on cdr media as well.

rule is good media + good burner + best burn speed for that burner = good output. certain burners burn well at certain speeds and depends on the firmware used. for my pioneer 111L verbatims and yudens were best burned at 8x regardless of its rated speeds. there are tests you can run to check the burn quality. i haven't been messing with my samsumg much so i can't say much about this burner.

if anybody's interested i only use:
taiyo yuden (branded or unbranded)
verbatims (made in taiwan by cmc or made in singapore by the mother company).
GQ (if it's made in taiwan it has the sony mid. i use this for friends)

paratwa

I use Verbatim for everything. And like the other poster stated, when burning at max, you risk the chance of errors. So I always burn at 3/4 of my rated speed.

anu786

You can burn cd or dvd at maximum speed of your pc. This'll not effect burning cd/dvd except your speed...

funkysnair

VIP Member
well i dont think its so much the speed but the components you are using-

with my old athlon 2.4 with 512 ddr400 couldnt handle full speed, would end up with disks lying all over place.

so with this build i got a good drive to start but i think memory has alot to do with it

every burn ive done now ive done full speed dvd16x not one problem

WhiteFireDragon

ok i just tried burning off a burned music CD. it SEEMS like the quality decreased and sounds mushier slightly. but i don't know if this is just a placebo effect and my ears are playing tricks on me, or if the quality really did decrease

dznutz

there are tests you can use to verify the quality of your burns.... like nero's cd speed......and some others. for instance if you use plextor drives you'll get plextools. some utilities require liteon drives. there's a lot more but i forget.

if you have newer high quality drives you can bun pretty much any disks at any speed without noticing a drop in quality. that's because the firmware has been updated to recognize most of the disks. also, manufacturer's haven't been making rated disk speeds above 16x... so newer drives should have the firmware to burn all disks even the cheap ones from china.

as many of us said, certain drives have a sweet spot speed for certain media and depends on the firmware used. and good media (made in japan, singapore) will give you good results.