...but why is this?

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I've heard heaps of people say that even though Core2 wipes floors with X2, X2 is slightly better at games and stuff...why is that? Claims of fanboys or a fact?

reddevil6

i would say either u or the people are saying it wrong.
the core2duo is better at games! back in the single core processors now that is a different story the AMD single cores it was like this a 2.0GHz AMD was = to a 2.5-2.6GHz intel single core.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Clock efficiency belongs to the Core2. A similarly clocked X2 and C2d, obviously the C2d will win, and at everything. You can take this premise all the way up to 70% the clockspeed of an X2, most the time, and the outcome will remain the same.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Clock efficiency belongs to the Core2. A similarly clocked X2 and C2d, obviously the C2d will win, and at everything. You can take this premise all the way up to 70% the clockspeed of an X2, most the time, and the outcome will remain the same.

I agree with part of that but the Core 2 doesnt win at everything. The Athlon still wins alot of memory test and it doesnt take a 70% more clock for a X2 to match a Core 2, thats way overstating it. Its true that the core 2 is faster clock for clock but thats no reason to over state it. If you have a Core 2 dual core at 2.4ghz its going to take a X2 at about 2.8 to match it. Now that can vary alittle one way or the other depending on what Core 2 and X2 your talking about. But its not nowhere near 70%.

TFT

VIP Member
I was under the impression that the X2 have the system memory controller built onto the CPU and Intel controls the memory by the northbridge. As games are memory bandwith intensive I thought the AMD scored here and Intel for number crunching. But I have been known to be wrong :)

EDIT: Obviously thats only true if all things are equal in the CPU speed area

Last edited: