Buy a Raptor?

sm100378

I have a Seagate 250gig in my desktop. I have been debating of getting a 36.7gig WD Raptor 10,000rpm HD for my OS, and everything else for the Seagate 250. I know the comparison with one drive vs raid 0, but with the details listed above, will I see faster startup time and (whatever else) if I choose to get a 10k drive from WD?

Thanks for the input.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
No, I woudln't get it...particularly just one. Maybe a single 150G, but anything less would be a waste IMO. I had a 36.7x2 RAID a while back. It was fast, but not a whole lot faster than my recent single drive configs...

SirKenin

banned
If you set it up right, it is faster. It will blow away a RAID setup. Thing is that your board has to support TCQ.

i have a 36.7 raptor and i ran out of space, im a gammer and a music dler so it sucked up pretty quick. it does boot pretty fast and all but i need to get a bigger drive. i have a 200 gb secondary drive too but most of the time my programs dont get read off of that one.

xFenGz

So if I had a Seagate 160gb as secondary and installed programs/games on it. It wouldn't be able to read it?

thealmightyone

Most games and programs won't work, because they will assume that Windows is installed on the same drive that it is. So, it will look for files that it needs to open on the wrong drive, and not work.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
So if I had a Seagate 160gb as secondary and installed programs/games on it. It wouldn't be able to read it?
I think you misunderstand what was said. I think he is saying the 200GB seagate drive doesn't get used often.

Boomer

im running 2 36.7gig raptors raid 0 plus a WD 200 gig for media. i love it! runs super fast when loading games and programs. i dont have a ton to compare it to tho, as i cant even compare it to my old setup. windows always boots up within one bar. its nice having the seperate drive for media. that way i dont waste space on my raptors.