Buy new PC now or wait for CyberMonday?

Hass

Long time no see guys...

The wife asked me for a desktop, so I'm giving her my gaming PC... and giving myself a new one. :)

However, this is a tricky time of year. What is the best bet? Newegg is running "Black Friday sales" all November supposedly.

Should I buy bits and pieces as they come on sale? Or should I forget the whole thing and just buy whatever is good?

spirit

Staff member
Yeah you can wait for sales but what you need to remember is that Newegg might not put the parts you want on sale.

I'd just buy what you want. If they're on sale, great! If not, well... at least you're getting the parts you want. ;)

Hass

Yeah you can wait for sales but what you need to remember is that Newegg might not put the parts you want on sale.

I'd just buy what you want. If they're on sale, great! If not, well... at least you're getting the parts you want. ;)

You see, thats the thing... I don't know what I want ;)

I think I want a FX-8350 and R9 280, but other than that I'll get whatever I can get... :]

spirit

Staff member
You need to decide how much you want to spend and exactly what you want this PC to do and work around that to get a list of parts together. Buying stuff on a whim is all well and good but you might end up disappointed when it doesn't do what you want because you didn't research or plan your build.

tylerjrb

I agree with spirit, research and decide what you want the build to do. Gaming, video editing etc. and what you would like on that such as 1080p, 1440p etc. but decide on a budget for that. Don't get lower end parts because their cheaper. You will regret it down the road. I'd advise decide on a budget, a good parts list taking what you want the PC to do into consideration. Then shop around on different websites for deals to see if you can save any money.

ninjabubbles3

I agree with you guys, but if he's looking for a gtx 760, per say, and an r9 280x is on sale for cheaper, it may be better to go with the second card

beers

Staff member
Eh it really just depends on what kind of a time crunch you're looking at as well as budget.

Sometimes parts go on sale which you didn't plan on (and could be an improvement) that make you reconsider your build.

There are usually deals across a breadth of products in a similar category so you should at least have some options if you were to wait for BF/CM

I agree with the planning phase as well though, you'd be well off to find the performance level you're looking for and assemble a type of 'minimum hardware' requirement list in order to achieve that. Then, when things go on sale you can quickly compare to your build plan and see how it would impact the system.