Buy the GTX 580 or wait for 595?

Torguy

Hey guys,

I was wondering If I should get the GTX 580 or wait for the GTX 595, or ATI 6990 which is supposed to be coming out next month.

Also you do guys think the price will drop for the GTX 580 when the 595 comes out?

I am looking to get the highest end video card simply to fact that it will last me a long time, as I am not the one to upgrade frequently.

Thanks!

Aastii

VIP Member
Hey guys,

I was wondering If I should get the GTX 580 or wait for the GTX 595, or ATI 6990 which is supposed to be coming out next month.

Also you do guys think the price will drop for the GTX 580 when the 595 comes out?

I am looking to get the highest end video card simply to fact that it will last me a long time, as I am not the one to upgrade frequently.

Thanks!

The price of the 580 will probably stay still and the 595 will just be substantially more expensive. Judging my the PSU from the other thread of yours, you will definitely need a new one though because 500W will be too little for a 595

CardboardSword

Well the GPU market is constantly evolving. The second you buy the biggest and best, there's something else out there that blows it out of the water and your shiny new tech looks obsolete in comparison. If there's a legitimate reason for you to wait, like saving up (or getting that new PSU :p) then yeah, by all means wait a while, but when the time comes to upgrade you just have to buy what's available, otherwise you'll spend an eternity waiting for the next best thing.

Torguy

lolz, yea hear you guys. Im just waiting only due to the fact that the 595 is coming out next month according to rumours I hear, otherwise I would just go and buy the 580 today.

My only concern is that the GTX 580 might be out of stock for long periods within a months time should I decide to go for it at that time.

Like I mentioned in my other posts, I will definitley upgrade my PSU as I have no choice really.

CardboardSword

Why would the 580 be out of stock for any period of time? The highest demand was likely at launch, so manufacturers are surely up to speed by now.

tech savvy

like Aastii said, the 580 will not drop in price do to the fact that the 595 is a daul and the 580 is a single.the 580 is the best SINGLE GPU on the market, so its going to stay where its at,until they release a better single GPU.since there two different GPUs, top single and maybe top daul GPU(lets see how the 6990 holds up first).nvidia will hold the top single and daul GPU market, with prices to match.

Last edited:

CardboardSword

Lets also consider that a GTX 595 will probably be two 570's on the same PCB, so you could get more power faster if you just bought two GTX 580's. You seem to be much more concerned about power than cost so I figured I'd throw that out there haha.

Torguy

Lets also consider that a GTX 595 will probably be two 570's on the same PCB, so you could get more power faster if you just bought two GTX 580's. You seem to be much more concerned about power than cost so I figured I'd throw that out there haha.

Actually quite the opposite :) I am a lot more concerned about money savings lol.

Cheers!

CardboardSword

Then why don't you get a card that won't be so strangled by your current system? You've mentioned before that it'll be a while before you get a new set up, and by then, the 5XX series will be outdated anyway. I still think your money would be better spent on a solid mid-range card (6870, 6950)

Torguy

Then why don't you get a card that won't be so strangled by your current system? You've mentioned before that it'll be a while before you get a new set up, and by then, the 5XX series will be outdated anyway. I still think your money would be better spent on a solid mid-range card (6870, 6950)

Yea bro, you make a vaild point, I am actually considering this now.

Thanks.

SslagleZ28

I just posted up on the 6950 with a 6970 bios flash and an overclock, the outcome is pretty fantastic for a $300 card you might want to look into that option as well