Buying a camera

VicTTim77

I'm looking for a good but cheap camera. Heres what a need: about 6-10x optical zoom, 5.0-6.0 megapixel, and the abillity for a wide angle lens. I'm looking on spending about $200-$300. Please help me.

SC7

My parents got some kind of Sony camera with 7.1 MP and Memorystick pro support for $179 ($229 before rebates). I don't know about the zoom, this camera only supports 3.0x 2.0x zooms, AFAIK, high digital zooms aren't supported really, maybe they are for a premium cost.

computerhakk

VIP Member
jp198780, you got about the oddest posts.
It always seems as if you are talking to them live or something.

Anyways, is that $300 max reserved for the camera itself or for the lense also? Depending on which camera it is, the lense itself can be pretty expensive.

SC7

I think any hobbiest in that price range would get a camera that comes with a lens. Are you looking pro, because if so, that may cost you a tad more.

Verve

I would say Canon is the best, although I don't have any particular models in mind. All I can say it that Panasonic records vids in .mov format, so editing won't be too easy if you want to do that...

SC7

Starwarsman said:
I would say Canon is the best, although I don't have any particular models in mind. All I can say it that Panasonic records vids in .mov format, so editing won't be too easy if you want to do that...
Yea, and quicktime Pro is SLLOOOOOOOWWW on Windows, even to just convert it, which then means a loss of quality.

VietPhuong

In Japan(concrete : Akihabara) you can buy a secondhand Pro camera with that price(if u lucky). Normaly can not have new camera for 6-7Mpixel and optical zoom 10x with that price range

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Yeah, you're going to have to try to buy that type of camera second hand, more than likely. Check Ebay or some camera stores in your area, they might have something that could work. If you were looking for something without the wideangle lens, you might be able to find something first-hand, but that would still be hard.

SC7

Second hand's not a bad thing, it'll be used, but you may like the better quality.

computerhakk

VIP Member
Well, if you're not too picky. You can get the Casio p505. It's what I have and it's a great camera.

I got wide angle lense on it also, but you'll have to import it. You can probably find it for like 250 usd. then the wide angle for another 50 usd bringing you to about 300.