Buying a DSLR. What else to get?

salvage-this

Hey everyone. I'm getting a Nikon D3100 when I can get enough money for it. I'm wondering what else do I need to get other than the camera? I was thinking of a tripod, case and a new lens for longer/wider shots. Any recommendations?

Justin

VIP Member
if you're new to photography, i suggest sticking with the kit lens first while you learn. definitely get a bag for your gear. don't buy one that will fit just the body and lens that you currently have now, buy a big one for additional lenses and a speedlite in the future. if you're planning to do long exposure shots, a tripod is a must. if you also want to take better pictures indoors, pick up a speedlite. i'm a canon user so i'm not familiar with nikon models.

salvage-this

I was thinking of getting a bag that is more like a smaller hiking pack with a lot of good padding. I am planning on taking it on the trails with me while snowboarding, biking or hiking in order to get the shot that I want.

Punk

Staff member
jnskyliner34 has given you most of what's needed, I will add a cleaning kit, very usefull when you go hiking :).

The kit lens is good enough, but I will suggest getting a basic zoom lens, such as a tamron 70-300 (for example, there other cheap, good lenses).

akmozart

Get a UV filter

You'll really want to get a UV filter such as this. They work really well to protect the lens and they're cheap, so if you drop the camera it scratches up the $10 filter and not the way more expensive lens.

That's a 52mm filter; the lens you get might be a different size, in which case you'll need a different filter size.

A lens I would recommend for portraits is the f/1.8 Nikkor; it'll give you a really narrow depth of field for an out-of-focus background that looks great. I have the comparable Canon lens, and I love it. Great price, too.

Yo-Yo

My basic setup for lenses is a sigma 18-200mm for full coverage and a 50mm f/1.4 for night.