Buying a iMac

Thanks again but what is OS?

And I also saw that iMac comes with a webcam and a microphone. Are they working fine? And on which program can we use the cam and microphone, MSN? Google Talk?
 
the only reason i would say to get a pc, would, be the fact that macs are pretty overpriced for what you get, if you do want an all in one, hp makes a 22 inch touchscreen, and i believe dell makes an all in one, so does gateway i guess, you can get what you want, i would imagine that the cam and microphone would be compatable with those programs
 
OS means operating system like Vista or OSX. Can't believe your looking at a mac when your worrying if something is compatible. I don't have to worry about that.
 
Last edited:
Thanks again but what is OS?

And I also saw that iMac comes with a webcam and a microphone. Are they working fine? And on which program can we use the cam and microphone, MSN? Google Talk?

it will probably work with Messenger mac (don't quote me on that) but it will surely work with Ichat.
You don't need to worry about anything
 
Ok thanks again guys. But somebody told me that if it is too good to be true, then it must be too good to be true. By reading your messages, there is no cons for buying a iMac except for the price? Nobody ever had any problem with this computer?
 
Everyone I know that uses them say they have never had any problems except one buddy of got a virus and it killed his laptop. Which when I tell people this most mac lovers say I'm full of bs there computers dont get viruses but it will start to happen because the more popularity+more people own one= more viruses. Other than that heard they where great.
 
What I was trying to say is the MAC OS is for..ehh noobs. You don't really see whats "actually happening" its all very simplified into the Mac GUI.

This is by far the dumbest argument I have ever heard against Macintosh computers. Too simple? So, you want a complicated machine with complicated menu items where you have to drill down some complicated path to find that one feature you need to configure and waste 25 minutes figuring it out, or would you rather it just be simple and work?

just read this

http://www.computerforum.com/120762-macintosh-platform.html
 
Ok thanks again guys. But somebody told me that if it is too good to be true, then it must be too good to be true. By reading your messages, there is no cons for buying a iMac except for the price? Nobody ever had any problem with this computer?

there's no such thing as a computer with no problems. All OS's has their issues, but what ive noticed Macs are easier to manage when an error occurs. (unlike windows)
I once had a preference pane error but this was easily fix by removing the apps preferences pane, unlike windows if somehow your Control panel does not load, or remains blank.. tough luck.. repair needed... but you get my general idea
 
This is by far the dumbest argument I have ever heard against Macintosh computers. Too simple? So, you want a complicated machine with complicated menu items where you have to drill down some complicated path to find that one feature you need to configure and waste 25 minutes figuring it out, or would you rather it just be simple and work?

just read this

http://www.computerforum.com/120762-macintosh-platform.html

Hehe I said that on page 1.
Macs are ok maybe bit expensive but you know what your paying for and at least it will last 4 - 5 years. A iMac G4 in 2002 can still run leopard of 2008 and if you have video games get your copy of windows and do bootcamp. Also time machine another great feature .
 
Last edited:
Macs were made real simple, Like Really simple. I tried a mac for 2 days, and then compared it to Linux. I barely had to use the Terminal in a Mac OS X, or Have to mess with any settings.
 
Macs were made real simple, Like Really simple. I tried a mac for 2 days, and then compared it to Linux. I barely had to use the Terminal in a Mac OS X, or Have to mess with any settings.

Which is why OS X is a good OS. It has the robust power of Unix under the hood but doesn't require you to even know Unix to need it. Unlike Linux where the second you get stuck with anything you have to google search and forum browse to find your answer, or just troubleshoot it yourself.
 
The bottom line is this: PCs are for manly men who know what they're doing and like to live on the edge. Macs are for n00bs who want to browse the Web and do photo and video editing without fear of their power supply spontaneously blowing up. The guy who posted the original question belongs to the latter category, so he's probably better off with one of those cute blue toys from Apple.

Hehe I said that on page 1.
Macs are ok maybe bit expensive but you know what your paying for and at least it will last 4 - 5 years. A iMac G4 in 2002 can still run leopard of 2008

That's because the macs of 2002 are about as fast as the macs of 2008 :)

Macs were made real simple, Like Really simple. I tried a mac for 2 days, and then compared it to Linux. I barely had to use the Terminal in a Mac OS X, or Have to mess with any settings.

And as we all know, Linux is the only operating system for the PC...
 
The bottom line is this: PCs are for manly men who know what they're doing and like to live on the edge. Macs are for n00bs who want to browse the Web and do photo and video editing without fear of their power supply spontaneously blowing up. The guy who posted the original question belongs to the latter category, so he's probably better off with one of those cute blue toys from Apple.



That's because the macs of 2002 are about as fast as the macs of 2008 :)



And as we all know, Linux is the only operating system for the PC...

I really hope that is sarcasm:rolleyes:
 
I've owned a 17" imac for 2 1/2 years and haven't had a single problem with it. The only programs that ever crash are a part of the MICROSOFT office suite, but even that is rare. Get one, you won't regret it I promise. I also just build me a brand new pc and i'm still on my mac more than the pc. :D
 
Thanks again everybody. I have a few other questions because my friend sent me an email about pc and iMac and I would like to have your opinion.

- My friend told me that I have to buy the equivalent of Photoshop because it is not on iMac. Is it true or is there some equivalent programe on iMac and do we have to pay for this?

- He also told me that with iMac it is nearly impossible to chat with people because they are only on msn and the mac version of msn is about 4 years old and that google talk is not working on iMac. I would like to know if I can chat with somebody with iChat like my msn contacts?

- He also said that it's better to buy a pc and install Windows Vista or to try Linux on it that to buy iMac with OS.

- He also said that most files that I can use with iMac will not be possible to read it on a PC.

- Did you have problem when using your webcam on iMac?

- And he told me that the programs that allows us to edit photos and videos are not included in iMac (we have to pay for them he said) and they are not supposed to be very good.

I think that's all :)

Thanks for your answers :)
 
Last edited:
I would also like to know how many memory do we have on the 20 inches iMac? By memory, I mean the memory to save files, photos, music ... Not the other memory that I don't remember the name ;)

Because you know, I am not a specialist in computers ;)
 
I would also like to know how many memory do we have on the 20 inches iMac? By memory, I mean the memory to save files, photos, music ... Not the other memory that I don't remember the name ;)

Because you know, I am not a specialist in computers ;)
Well, your friend is wrong, very wrong. I am going to answer some of your questions...
First off, the iMac has great messaging quality, when your friend said it only has msn that is so wrong. The mac features a program called iChat which supports AOL AIM, Bonjour, and MSN and lets you switch between them very easily. I only have an AIM account, so I dont know if Bonjour and MSN have the same video chat and audio chat as the AIM on iChat does, but it runs really smoothly. Second, I am not big on photo editing programs, but my dad is. He has this program called Photo Elements or something like that, and I remember he got it for cheap... you can also get a program called Aperture, which if you are really into Photo editing, that is the program for you. You can also find free photo editing programs on the internet very easily. Let me just inform you now, my dad is very good with computers, but when he got Aperture, he spent weeks trying to figure out how to use it. It is a TOP of the line program that even the modeling businesses use. Third, about the buying a pc and installing vista or w/e. I am not exactly sure of your question, but it is soooo much harder to install vista or xp. If your buying it, the iMac comes pre-installed with leopard and iLife '08. Also, about your memory question, my dad upgraded it when he bought it from best buy, I honestly have no idea. You can check the Apple or bestbuy website. And last, about the photo editing, it comes with a couple programs which allow you to change a couple settings about the photo, nothing high tech like the apps i mentioned earlier. Hope this LONG message helped, lol.
 
Back
Top