\buying a laptop tomorrow - Need help choosing for my specific needs

NI_t3n_IChi_RYU

my old laptop (Samsung NC20) broke a few days ago, well i actually smashed it because it was driving me insane at how slow it is, so now i have to buy a new one...anyway....

I have $600 to spend and im a bit lost on what to get.

I will be using this laptop for the following -

Surfing internet/blogging
Watching films
Playing games (i know i wont be able to play the latest ones but RTS games from a few years back would be good)
Photo editing
Minor video editing
Audio editing (audacity)

as a bonus, i would LOVE to be able to play counter strike source but for my budget i think im asking too much.

Im in vietnam so i dont have a choice of ordering from the internet, i must simply buy one from a shop.

Most laptops i have found either have the specs of - Core i3 with 3GB of RAM

OR

Core i5 with 2GB of RAM

what do you think would be the best option for my needs, there are also some laptops with Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM but ive heard the Core i*'s are better than the C2D.

As i want to play games i take it i should be looking for dedicated graphics instead of shared

Most of the laptop specs either give me the choice of

'Up to 763mb shared'

OR

'512mb ATI Radeon HD5470' - could this play counter strike source?

thanks in advance for your help

Buy-it PC

The otebook in Question

I'm a little concern about the budget of $600.00 are you certain you wouldn't consider a bit more?

=D

NI_t3n_IChi_RYU

hi

no my max budget is $600

i just need help deciding what options to choose

*update*

ok so i think i ave narrowed it down - basically any laptop will be able to handle my work related stuff (blogging, flash, etc) so it really boils down to what is going to be the best for gaming so ive narrowed it down to all laptops within my price range that have a dedicated GPU (most have GF 310 or ATI 5470).

Option 1 - Core i 3 330m 2.13ghz + 2GB DDR3 RAM + Geforce 310m 512MB
Option 2 - Core i 5 430m 2.26ghz + 2GB RAM + ATI HD 5470 512MB
Option 3 - Core i 3 370m 2.40ghz + 2GB DDR3 RAM + ATI HD 5470 512MB

Looking at the benchmarks it seems that the ATI is better than the Geforce.

So what to choose - i 5 with 2gb of ddr2 ram

or

i 3 with 2gb of ddr3 ram

Last edited: