Buying a new computer, need help!

It's me again. I could be buying the computer right now if it wasn't for that damn GPU. It's sold out EVERYWHERE! Netonnet.no MIGHT get it 19.04.10. There are a lot of sites that have the HD 5770, though. Should I go for it, or is the 5850 so much better that it's worth the wait? Again, I'll be playing Bad Company 2.
 
I am being told to go for AMD instead of Intel because AMD is better for gaming (he says). Is this correct? It's cheaper too.

ur friend is way wrong. intel is better for everything. do NOT get amd. an i7 is the best cpu to get dude. trust me I have one. the nzxt case is GREAT so you should get that. I would get the intel build but get the 5870 instead of the 5850
 
Omfg this is so confusing. He is saying the opposite. Like for example that X6 AMDs will be using the same socket and that AMD is better for gaming. Can you give me some arguments?
 
Omfg this is so confusing. He is saying the opposite. Like for example that X6 AMDs will be using the same socket and that AMD is better for gaming. Can you give me some arguments?

dude what does ur friend know? is HE on a computer forum no. does he have an i7? no. do I? yes.

listen, the i7 is the best cpu on the market aside from the i7 980x hexacore which at 1,100 dollars is stupid and useless. intel is better in every single respect. it overclocks better, runs with less heat, is more stable, has more memory, has more processing speed, EVERYTHING
 
Yes, it is. It's quite a bit more powerful, actually. However:

For gaming, nearly all modern games are going to be GPU limited, meaning that if you're trying to stay in a budget, you're better off going with a Phenom II rig and using the extra cash on your GPU. At 3.2-3.4GHz, even a Radeon HD5970 will begin to bottleneck a Phenom II x4. If you're using a 58xx card or lower, there will generally be little to no performance increase by using an i7, except in games with very heavy phisics calculations...and even then the difference isn't huge.

And actually, once the GPU bottleneck sets in, AMD rigs generally have a 1-3 fps advantage, because their chipsets have a better design than Intel's.

edit: I will say that since you're considering an i7 rig, you're probably getting a god monitor as well. If you're using an older monitor with lower resolution, then the i7 will probably yield more performance all around.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top