Buying a new computer or upgrading?

HardwareFan2023

I am planning to either buy a new PC or to upgrade the one I currently have and possibly in 1 year to take over the parts used for the upgrade and switch completely to a new system.
I would be happy if you could give me your assessment.

1. Do you want to play on PC?

- Rocket League, Fifa 23, Football Manager, possibly Hogwarts Legacy

- Full HD resolution and smooth

2. Would you like to use the PC for image/music/video editing or CAD? As a hobby or are you a professional? What software will you use?

- no

3. Do you have special requirements or wishes (overclocking, a particularly quiet PC, RGB lighting, ...)?

- no

4. How many and which monitors do you want to use? Number, model, resolution, refresh rate (Hertz)? Is FreeSync (AMD) or G-Sync (Nvidia) supported? (Please with a link to the manufacturer or price comparison!)

- Samsung Full HD monitor

5. Do you still have an old PC, parts of which could be reused?

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • RAM: G.Skill F4-2400 8 GB
  • Mainboard: Asus Prime B350M-A AM4
  • Power Supply: be quiet! PurePower 10 ATX 400W
  • Case: Sharkoon VG5-W
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6 GB
  • SSD: WD Blue 3D M.2., 2,5 500 GB

6. How much money are you willing to spend?

- €1,200 (For a potential complete new build)

7. When do you want to buy the PC? As soon as possible or can you wait a few weeks/months?

- either completely reassemble now or replace parts now and continue the rest of the conversion in a year.

beers

Staff member
You might find a good deal on a 5700X or 5800X. Even a 5600X would be a noticeable upgrade, you can support those CPUs with a BIOS upgrade on your current motherboard, although I wouldn't upgrade until you had the part in hand as I believe updating BIOS versions 'too far' with your current CPU removes legacy support for your existing 1600.

Some 16g or 32g of 3200 or better RAM and a new GPU should put you in business for a while, although RL/FIFA should run alright on the 1060.

Should easily be able to come in under 1200 euro.

HardwareFan2023

You might find a good deal on a 5700X or 5800X. Even a 5600X would be a noticeable upgrade, you can support those CPUs with a BIOS upgrade on your current motherboard, although I wouldn't upgrade until you had the part in hand as I believe updating BIOS versions 'too far' with your current CPU removes legacy support for your existing 1600.

Some 16g or 32g of 3200 or better RAM and a new GPU should put you in business for a while, although RL/FIFA should run alright on the 1060.

Should easily be able to come in under 1200 euro.
Thanks for the advice. Would I be able to keep the existing case and mainboard or should I exchange these parts as well? Im wondering if it is useful to only exchange the Ram to 32 GB and the SSD to 2 TB and maybe switch to a new CPU and GPU in the future. Do you know a good 2 GB SSD that I could use for my exisiting board and later use for a more modern board in the future?