Buying Custom Computer

Skorax

New Member
I know, its cheaper to build one than to buy one. But really need input on buying a prebuilt. My budget is $1450. I already have a monitor. I been looking at IbuyPower and Cyberpowerpc.com. I'm not sure if the gaming network card is worth the price of $99 (does it really make a big difference in gaming?). I play only Guild Wars and World of Warcraft, I am aiming for a bit overkill so it can play future games decently well.
Also, another catch, I am aiming for a case with very good cooling but dont really want a window or fancy gadgets and lights everywhere on it.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I also been interested in the computers that newegg sells prebuilt
 
Last edited:
Most of the computers Newegg sells are either ibuypower or Cyberpower, aren't they?

As long as your motherboard has onboard Gigabit LAN, the gaming card shouldn't make too much of a difference. Not $99 worth, anyway.
 
Configurator: Weekly Gamer Special

Case NZXT Gamma Gaming Mid Tower Case-Black
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction None-
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion None-
Processor Intel® Core™ i7 930 Processor (4x 2.8GHz/8MB L3 Cache)-
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive PowerDrive Level 2 - Up to 20% Overclocking-
Processor Cooling XIGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm CPU Cooling Fan System-H.D.T. (Heat-pipe direct touch) technology
Memory 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1600 Triple Memory Module-Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card ATI Radeon HD 5850 - 1GB-Single Card
Video Card Brand Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA-
Motherboard ASUS P6T SE -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire Supported w/8-ch HD Audio, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3 PCI-E MB-
Power Supply 750 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-750TX Power Supply-SLI Ready
Primary Hard Drive 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s-Single Drive
Optical Drive 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive-[Lightscribe Technology] Black
Flash Media Reader/Writer 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer-Black
Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard-
Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)-
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....)-64-Bit
Additional Software Microsoft Works 9.0 (make the most of your home PC)-
Keyboard iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard-Black
Mouse iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse-Black
Speaker System iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System-
External Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA] None-
Advanced Build Options iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System-Protect your investment during transportation!
Advanced Build Options Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower-Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis
Advanced Build Options Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound-The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks
Warranty Standard Warranty Service-Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support
Rush Service Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee)-No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days
Subtotal* $1537.00 (plus tax & shipping)


How does this build look? Any suggestions?
 
Last edited:
Most of the stuff looks good. Good GPU, CPU, PSU, and MOBO.

I don't know the case, cpu cooler, the HDD model?

Overall I think it is a decent computer with nice parts.
 
CPU Cooler: Processor Cooling XIGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm CPU Cooling Fan System-H.D.T. (Heat-pipe direct touch) technology

The case I wasn't too sure on either, never heard of it. has 6 fans, all 120+ mm, so I was hoping it would have good cooling.

The HDD is sony.
 
The case is good, though I'm not sure if it actually comes with 6 fans. The retail version comes with one fan in front, with room for 5 more. All of the fan spaces support multiple fan sizes, I believe...up to 140mm for the ones on top, and 120mm for the rest.

The cooler is fine. Xigmatek makes good units.

I'd shoot for a WD/Seagate/Samsung hard drive, personally....they're generally faster. Shouldn't affect reliability though.
 
Thank you. And for that price, do you guys think i'm paying too much for a prebuilt?

I had them add maximum number of fans possible to the case for extra airflow.

I will switch it to a samsung, thanks
 
As far as prebuilt PC goes I think you are maxed out at the possibilities of different configurations that you can do for your price range. If you want to step the video card, proc. etc etc up you'll go out of your price range.
 
Looks good then, however, no real need for and after market cooler unless you just want one or plan to OC. Can you get a WD Black HDD? This comes down to preference though.

If you bought it as shown it looks good.
 
Last edited:
I asked them for the samsung or WD, but they told me they dont have them in stock =( All good though after they send me the computer, in a month or two i'll add my own HDD.

I switched out the case for a HAF 932 case, I have only heard good things about them. I will put up pics of the inside of the tower and the case when it arrives
 
Back
Top