Buying different ram.. worth it?

CrazyEh

Hey guys,

I currently have 2x1gb of ram. One made by samsung, and the other by A-Data (both same speeds). I haven't had any issues with the 2 different brands. I have never ran memtest, as I haven't had a problem.

Now, my question is... would it be worth it to upgrade to something like this? Would it give me an increase in speed vs what I am using now? My ram is at 5-5-5-15 (5300, going to upgrade mobo soon, doesn't support 6400).

thanks

2048Megabytes

It probably would give you faster processing time upgrading to the new memory as the OCZ memory you are looking at is faster and will also put your memory into dual channel mode.

But you probably won't notice a large difference in processing speed.

If you get your rebate money, that looks like a good price for Random Access Memory in my opinion.

daisymtc

I will say if you replace your existing RAM with OCZ, you won't notice the difference. But if you get 4 GB RAM, you see the improvement

AznPride83

Well, as long as your MoBo supports it, should be alot better considering it's 4GB instead of 2GB, plus the fact that it's a higher clock speed.

2048Megabytes

I may have made some wrong assumptions. Are you going to replace your existing to 2 gigabytes of Random Access Memory with 2 or 4 gigabytes of OCZ memory? Or are you going to add 2 gigabytes of OCZ memory to your existing memory?

CrazyEh

I apologize, I should have made my post clear.

I am looking to replace my 2gb different brand ram (which I'm running in dual channel 5-5-5-15 5300). If I do purchase OCZ ram, that will be the only ram in my pc. I will most likely put the other 2gb towards a new build.

2048Megabytes

I would go ahead and purchase the OCZ memory if you are going to use your old memory anyway.

But like I said above, you probably won't notice a large difference in processing speed. It will be a little faster, but if you aren't upgrading any other components of your system other than your Random Access Memory the speed difference will be minimal.

CrazyEh

Everytime I look at that ram I posted, it seems to get cheaper! Now I'm thinking of picking it up.

Question though. Since my motherboard only supports 667, and that ram is 800, will it still run at 4-4-4-12? I don't overclock nothing, and would like to keep it that way.

Thanks