Buying gift, I could use some help Thanks

patches123

Hi there everyone. :)
My mentally challenged nephew is wanting a laptop so he can email his friends. That IS the ONLY thing he wants it for. and of course it cannot have any wires connected to the internet. He is a very patient person so it doesn't have to be fast. It can be used in great shape. I have been looking at the auction sites and getting confused. My budget for him on the laptop is 100-300. Can someone recommend a model? Again he only wants it for emailing and chat.

Elite

banned
Correct me if i'm wrong but since laptops can be more expensive than desktop computers, i doubt that you will find a good laptop anywhere within your price range. Have a look on Ebay.
Good Luck!:)

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
Elite said:
Correct me if i'm wrong but since laptops can be more expensive than desktop computers, i doubt that you will find a good laptop anywhere within your price range. Have a look on Ebay.
Good Luck!:)
well seeing as his nephew is only using to email friends, it doesnt need to be amazing.

elite, is that 100 -300 USD?

patches123

Yes it is 100-300 US dollars. Gees , I don't need it to run at lightning speed or run Nasa programs! I was hoping to find just a simple laptop that doesn't connect the internet with any kind of wires. does such a thing exist? I am sure at that price I would need an older laptop (used), but I don't know of such brands and models. When did these wireless ones come out? Thanks

alanuofm

VIP Member
you can get an older computer and install a cheap pcmcia wireless card on it for a few dollars for a wireless b. too bad you arent in virginia, they were selling laptops for 50$ and people were stampeding to it. i would check at a trade show or on ebay. an older pentium III or k6 should be sufficient for surfing the internet.

patches123

so alanuofm
Say I get an older pent III cheap, your're telling me I can install a cheap pcmcia wireless card and I would not need wires to hook up the net? What does this pcmcia stand for and would I need - say a"IBM" card for IBM laptop? How diificult are they to install?

alanuofm

VIP Member
most laptops (someone check me on that) has a pcmcia slot. it is a credit card sized slot located on the side. all you do is slide the wireless card in and install the drivers and you are done. another alternative is a usb wireless adapter. both will work fine.

patches123

I did see that laptop, but how would I KNOW it is wireless OR NOT. What do I look for specifically? What are those names and terms .

alanuofm

VIP Member
patches123 said:
I did see that laptop, but how would I KNOW it is wireless OR NOT. What do I look for specifically? What are those names and terms .

yes it does include wireless. any laptop with a usb port can go wireless. they sell the little 30$ adapters.

Vampiric Rouge

That one is a nice one, I don't think he needs any thing that good. If all he needs is E-mail and internet i would say, save your self some money and go with a pII or a high end pI runing like windows 98 could do it. If you look for somthing that low end you could save your self a good amount of money. I mean why get a 1ghz cpu if all your doing is e-mail? It doesn't make sence to get somthing that fast for just e-mail/internet. ;)

boots_4SW

One more place you might want to check out is a boeing warehouse store. I'm not sure if you have one around where you like but i've herd of cheap used laptops there.