Buying new cpu

Gooberman

i'd only get the 975 if i was into extreme benchmarking/overclocking, but if it's just for games/general use/work i would pick the 960.

FATALiiTYz

i'd only get the 975 if i was into extreme benchmarking/overclocking, but if it's just for games/general use/work i would pick the 960.

lol. If it were for games/general use I would get an athlon x2 240.

I wouldn't really upgrade at all, BUT, if you must upgrade then I would wait until intels 6 core cpus come out

maroon1

The first 6 core/12 threads CPU will be out on March 16 and it will cost $999

The non-extreme edition is supposed to be out on Q3 2010 according to current rumors

FATALiiTYz

Yeah, I understand that but why would you want to upgrade from an i7 920? I mean, 600 dollars just for a few hundred megahertz which could be achieved in a few minutes in the bios?

Gooberman

lol. If it were for games/general use I would get an athlon x2 240.

I wouldn't really upgrade at all, BUT, if you must upgrade then I would wait until intels 6 core cpus come out

i would of recommended getting the 920 but he all ready had it! :)

87dtna

There's no point in the 960 if you already have a 920. The only difference is about 100-200 more mhz max overlock.

The 975 has a higher QPI, and unlocked multiplier. But if you got the money for the 975, like someone else said just wait until the hex-cores come out before buying anything at this point.

2048Megabytes

Can I have your Core i7 920 Processor? :D

How much are you going to sell your Core i7 920 for? Like others have previously said, you have one of the best processors manufactured presently. Getting a new Core i7 is pointless unless you are building a new system.

If you want to spend money on a good upgrade take a look at the below Intel Solid State Drive. It has read speeds of up to 250 megabytes per second.

Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80 gigabyte SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $290
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...167016&cm_re=intel_ssd-_-20-167-016-_-Product