Buying new desktop ... Dell or Lenovo?

Gary1

I think its more the OP doesn't have time to build his own. It takes 1 or 2 hours to build a computer and install all the software, or take 15 min to set up the computer he bought. To respond to the question asked. I hate both companies, however Lenovo computers are not the best quality. Many posters here are correct building your own product is "better" but not time saving! You will receive lifetime warranties with some things like ram and other things like Motherboards you will receive 2 or 3 year warranties.
It will take you 2 days to a week to receive your parts, or you can drive to best buy and be up in running in 15 min to an hour, have a warranty, maybe pay more maybe not depending on what you buy. If you live near a Fry's electronics store, tiger direct store, ECT you could pick all your parts up in one day, but you still have to assemble them, and install your software. If time is money then you probably would save cash by buying a system already built.

wolfeking

banned
what you seem to be forgetting is that you can go to a local brick and mortar store and give them a list of what you want, and they can build it for you. Most of the time they will have most if not all of the parts in store, and you will just have to come back in 2-3 hours to pick it up, and you are up and running with better warranties and no downtime to speak of. Just about the same amount as buying from Best Buy or Fry's if you do not live in a city where they have one, and have to make a short trip to get it.

Gary1

I think a lot of kids on here do not fully understand the subject. I do build my PC myself just because. However I use AutoCAD, some of my drawings take me 2 weeks to complete so therefore when I do upgrade to a new computer I get the best on the market because transferring everything to a new computer is a horrible experience. I don't like to experience ever 6 months. Opinions are fine and everyone has one, but when the OP says which is better Dell or Lenovo that does not mean that the OP wants to hear about building a system. This thread is full of horrible advice lol. When I upgraded from AutoCAD 2005 to AutoCAD 2012 several individuals told me that it was depended on CPU more than the old one. It does require a CPU for sure, but My CPU never hits over 7% usage while working on my biggest drawing. I plan to still be using the same computer with AutoCAD 2020. The advice to save a whopping $75 on CPU chosen. My truck burns that up in 3 days. Chump change these days. If you can save me a couple grand than I can listen but $75 only a high school kid would worry about $75 whole dollars.

For those of you stuck on 1155 socket

The Intel Core i7-3820 costs $319.99
The Intel Core i7-2600 Costs $299.99

Why buy a Volkswagen when you can buy the BMW for practically the same price??

Last edited:

paulcheung

For those of you stuck on 1155 socket

The Intel Core i7-3820 costs $319.99
The Intel Core i7-2600 Costs $299.99

Why buy a Volkswagen when you can buy the BMW for practically the same price??

Why you are compare these two processor as BMW to VW? Do you know the different on these two processor? Are they that far apart? I really don't see it.
They price them that close for a reason. They aren't that far different to me.
Cheers.

Gary1

For two reasons only really. 1 its possible to run x16/x16 on the i7-3820 and you can only run x8/x8 on the i7 2600. In the future the OP would have the option to install two NVIDIA Quatro's or 2 FirePro's.

And quad channel memory on the i7-3820 also the i7 2600k only has Dual Channel. More memory will help with more complex software.

paulcheung

The OP is buying a business computer not a GAMING computer, Those features you listed don't apply to him at all. and by time we utilise those features there are much better CPU out. So how I see it, it is just Intel use those to rip off people.
Cheers.

wolfeking

banned
a couple of things here.
1 Firepro and quadro are business cards.
2. x8/x8 on a PCIe 3.0 is the same power as x16/x16 on PCIe 2.0 which is x32/x32 on PCIe 1.0. The bandwidth loss from x8/x8 is certainly not worth the extra price at all.