Buying new laptop. Need advice.

KH20

Hey everyone. My laptop recently died on me so I'm looking for a new laptop. What I'm mainly wanting to do on a new computer is record HD footage (I have an external HD capture card for video games) and edit in HD from Sony vegas. My old computer was a Thinkpad T61, which didn't have a great video card or ram but was still able to do all these things but was slowed dramatically, so Im wanting to upgrade aswell.

Here is what I'm deciding from: Both are Toshiba Satellites

Option one:

* 2.3GHz AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M520 Processor
* 4GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM Memory
* 320GB Serial ATA Hard Disk Drive (5400RPM); DVD SuperMulti Drive with Labelflash supporting 11 formats
* 15.6" CCFL (16:9) 1366x768 Display; ATI Radeon 4200 Graphics
* Window 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Option two:

* 2.2GHz Intel Pentium Dual Core T4400 Processor
* 3GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM Memory
* 320GB Serial ATA Hard Disk Drive (5400RPM); DVD Super Multi Drive
* 15.6" CCFL (16:9) 1366x768 Display; Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
* Window 7 Home Premium 64-bit

If anyone would also like to recommend a laptop for me they can. My budget is about $650 (i know, not a lot) and battery life isn't a priority, planning on rarely taking it with me places.

Last edited:

KH20

The 4200 one I listed is currently $550, would the video card on the ASUS merit the 100$ extra? Is ASUS a relatively new brand?

KH20

Leaning towards the lenovo or the toshiba ive had my eye on (option one). It is available on ebay for about 520$. Is asus a good brand? ive never heard of them before this week. are they good about coming out with new drivers? Ive read about a few failures within the first few weeks of owning.

daisymtc

Leaning towards the lenovo or the toshiba ive had my eye on (option one). It is available on ebay for about 520$. Is asus a good brand? ive never heard of them before this week. are they good about coming out with new drivers? Ive read about a few failures within the first few weeks of owning.

Asus is the leading motherboard manufacture. Their laptop provide good value for money.

I highly recommend core i3 as Pentium dual-core is the last generation...