Buying new video card. Help

ComNewbie

Good evening everyone. I would like to ask for your advices and help.
I am really confused of what to doo with my current problem which is my graphics card versus the latest games. It is really lagging, and i have already done checking my hardwares of my rig, it seems everything is at its good condition. So your advices would be very appreciated.

This is my rig:
Intel Quad Core 2.6ghz
Gigabyte Mobo (GA-EP43-UD3L) socket 775
4gb Corsair XMS2 800 ddr2
EVGA gtx 460 1gb
PSU cougar 700w
Western Digital 500gb sata2

Here's my concern...
*i'm upgrading my video card to asus gtx 680 4gb ddr5 pcie 3.0? is it possible that i will not need to change my current power supply?

*another thing, my mobo is only PCIE 2.0, will it give the all out performance of asus nvidia geforce gtx680 4gb (pcie 3.0)?

*would it be practical to upgrade or just make another rig for the best decision?

jonnyp11

I'd go for a new rig. The core 2's aren't the best anymore and your power supply isnt that good either. You can get a lot better now, i5, 8gb ddr3, and a 7950 will kill any game out today.

Okedokey

ComNewbie

Please download and install PC WIzard from my sig. Run it and go to FILE, SAVE AS and click OK. Copy the text out of that file inot this thread.

Thirdly your PSU is fine for a 680.

ComNewbie

How much money do you have? What games do you want to play?

Hi, thank you very much for your time with my concern. Talking about budget, uhhh, maybe i really don't have any limitation. I just want to play the games stated below.

I play all FPS games (ex. COD BOII etc.) and a few of online games like DC Universe and Diablo III. Some are Dota2 and Assassins Creed III.

ComNewbie

I'd go for a new rig. The core 2's aren't the best anymore and your power supply isnt that good either. You can get a lot better now, i5, 8gb ddr3, and a 7950 will kill any game out today.

Hi Jon. Your comment was very helpful. Appreciated it very much, thank you. :)

ComNewbie

ComNewbie

Please download and install PC WIzard from my sig. Run it and go to FILE, SAVE AS and click OK. Copy the text out of that file inot this thread.

Thirdly your PSU is fine for a 680.

Hey Bigfella. thank you very much with your reply. just want to know if what is that PC Wizard for? :)

Can I get some help of you making a new rig specially building a SLI and 3monitors rig like your rig now, it was 4 years ago that i want to make one but i have no one to do it for me. Just even for advices you can help me, I learn fast if its not too much to ask from you. :D

jonnyp11

what country are you in? and a rig like his is very expensive, with 3 monitors included in the build and all you might be talking close to 2000 usd if you want to max any game out, but the games you mentioned really aren't that demanding, you might want to look at Crysis 3 and Battlefield 3 and other PC centered games rather than console ports.

ComNewbie

what country are you in? and a rig like his is very expensive, with 3 monitors included in the build and all you might be talking close to 2000 usd if you want to max any game out, but the games you mentioned really aren't that demanding, you might want to look at Crysis 3 and Battlefield 3 and other PC centered games rather than console ports.

I'm from Philippines by the way. If I may ask from where are you? Because seldom from Philippines that knows how to asseble rigs like these. :)
The conversion rate from PH to USD now is 41php is to 1USD.

Yeah It's my dream to have a gaming pc like this even if I don't use its maximum capacity. Another intension is collections of rigs. I would like to experience it while i'm still young :)

Buying that 2000USD rig from Philippines would be around 4000USD. Anyway my target is I can make that rig in reality and if someone could help me assemble and make SLI and 3monitors work, that would be all my favor to ask from you guys. :)

Last edited:

jonnyp11

i know we have someone on here in the philipines, but IDK what site to use or anything to get you a list, but off the top of my head you should be looking at an i5-3570k/i7-3770k, Gigabyte z77 motherboard, 8GBs DDR3 1600 RAM, Good brand (long list of them i'm not putting) 750w PSU, 1 or 2TB HDD and a 120GB SSD, and 2 HD7970s in Crossfire (AMD version of SLI)

ComNewbie

i know we have someone on here in the philipines, but IDK what site to use or anything to get you a list, but off the top of my head you should be looking at an i5-3570k/i7-3770k, Gigabyte z77 motherboard, 8GBs DDR3 1600 RAM, Good brand (long list of them i'm not putting) 750w PSU, 1 or 2TB HDD and a 120GB SSD, and 2 HD7970s in Crossfire (AMD version of SLI)

Wow that's great if you know someone in Philippines. Maybe you can help me and introduce to that person. And yes, I have a cousin who directly import pc parts. So I just need the good Brands and specs. :D

Can you help me put this up together. These would be my idea and I would like to hear your advice about it and yes do some changes of parts if its not well paired.

Here are the following: (I am also after the looks of the rig)
Mobo: either Asus RAMPAGE or MSI x79 Military Class
CPU: Intel i7-3770k
VC: HD7970 x 2 (crossfire) "which brand would be more good at looks MSI or Asus?"
RAM: Corsair dorminator 8gb or 12gb; 1600 or 2000 or 1800 ddr3
HHD: 120GB SSD(Drive C); 2TB (I don't have any idea which is a good brand for SSD)
PSU: 800watts above (Brand that's built for durability and looks)
Casing: Is Cooler Master Cosmos II advisable?

*Would you also recommend the liquid cooling for my set up?
*How about the 3 monitors set up? :D

spirit

Staff member
Jnskyliner is the guy Jonny is on about.

That rig you have planned there is seriously overkill. Two 7970s? For what? An i7 3770K? For what? ASUS Rampage? For what? All overkill and all not needed for gaming.

Here's what I'd recommend:

Core i5 3570K - fast, overclockable, the sweet spot for gaming. You're not going to need an i7 for gaming.
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - awesome board, all you need and more.
8GB DDRR 1600/1866MHz G.Skill RipJaws-X or Corsair Vengeance RAM - either is good.

Graphics: 1x 7950 or 1x 7970 - don't go CrossFire yet (leave that as an option for the future). One 7950 or 7970 will be way more than enough.

HDD: pretty much any 7200 RPM 32/64MB cache disk from Seagate or Western Digital will do. Don't go for a Caviar Green 2TB. I made that mistake: slow drive.

SSD: I've used three. Crucial M4, SanDisk Extreme and OCZ Vertex 4. I'm on a Vertex 4 now and I prefer it to the other two (mainly because of the insane write speeds, you're talking over 400MB/s read and write). So I'd take a Vertex 4 128GB or 256GB (I'd probably go 256GB).

PSU: For a single 7950 or 7970, anything in the 600-750W range from Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, Silverstone, OCZ or Antec will be plenty. Corsair TX 650 V2 would be good for one card but maybe not quite enough for CrossFire in the future, so you may want to get a TX 750 V2 instead if you intend to go CrossFire later on.

Case: Any quality case really from Cooler Master, Fractal Design, Corsair or NZXT would be great. If you like the look of the Cosmos II, go for it. :)

Liquid cooling is good if you intend on doing a lot of overclocking, but a good air cooler on your CPU is cheaper and sometimes you can get just as good overclocks.

Okedokey

What spirit said is kinda true unless you wanna play crysis 3, or FSX in which case you'll need every bit of grunt available.

jonnyp11

He said tri-display so 5760x1080 so he needs a good setup to push that. If you want to avoid Crossfire/SLI issues then the Titan might be up your ally, and it will scale way better than 2 690's if you SLI it in the future.

ComNewbie

He said tri-display so 5760x1080 so he needs a good setup to push that. If you want to avoid Crossfire/SLI issues then the Titan might be up your ally, and it will scale way better than 2 690's if you SLI it in the future.

Jonny what about your friend here in the Philippines. Do you still talk or pm with him?

I just want a rig with this kind of idea or concept, here are the following:
- 3 monitors working together
- SLI/Crossfire (upto two graphic cards only)
- i7 3rd gen CPU (do i need to change the heatsink of the processor into those handsome heat-pipes all over the processor match up with colored fans "because on what I'm thinking right now is how to keep that heatsink clean"?)
- 1600 to 2000 (8gb to 12gb RAM)
- SSD and HDD(SATAII)
- mobo (RAMPAGE or Military Class III) i'm for the looks of it
That's the main thing that I want to build.

And my problem now is, I don't know how to make 3 monitor work and do SLI/Crossfire set-up that's why I need someone to help me. I hope anyone can give me the right friend (Philippine based) to make this real :D

Honestly i'm not good on doing hardware (installation). I'm afraid, I might spoil it (this kind of set up is not a joke). haha! Been so many times spoil because of wrong experimentation process. :/

Last edited:

ComNewbie

Jnskyliner is the guy Jonny is on about.

That rig you have planned there is seriously overkill. Two 7970s? For what? An i7 3770K? For what? ASUS Rampage? For what? All overkill and all not needed for gaming.

Here's what I'd recommend:

Core i5 3570K - fast, overclockable, the sweet spot for gaming. You're not going to need an i7 for gaming.
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - awesome board, all you need and more.
8GB DDRR 1600/1866MHz G.Skill RipJaws-X or Corsair Vengeance RAM - either is good.

Graphics: 1x 7950 or 1x 7970 - don't go CrossFire yet (leave that as an option for the future). One 7950 or 7970 will be way more than enough.

HDD: pretty much any 7200 RPM 32/64MB cache disk from Seagate or Western Digital will do. Don't go for a Caviar Green 2TB. I made that mistake: slow drive.

SSD: I've used three. Crucial M4, SanDisk Extreme and OCZ Vertex 4. I'm on a Vertex 4 now and I prefer it to the other two (mainly because of the insane write speeds, you're talking over 400MB/s read and write). So I'd take a Vertex 4 128GB or 256GB (I'd probably go 256GB).

PSU: For a single 7950 or 7970, anything in the 600-750W range from Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, Silverstone, OCZ or Antec will be plenty. Corsair TX 650 V2 would be good for one card but maybe not quite enough for CrossFire in the future, so you may want to get a TX 750 V2 instead if you intend to go CrossFire later on.

Case: Any quality case really from Cooler Master, Fractal Design, Corsair or NZXT would be great. If you like the look of the Cosmos II, go for it. :)

Liquid cooling is good if you intend on doing a lot of overclocking, but a good air cooler on your CPU is cheaper and sometimes you can get just as good overclocks.

Great one! You the man for building a well valued gaming rig!
Excellent set up for a real gamer. Spirit, thank you so much for your time and advice. I'll do this kind of set up for my younger brother. Since he is really into gaming.

Actually for my concern on the topic I posted, I was a little confusing. I'm very sorry for it. What I want to build right now is a rig that would be for looks and performance, may it be overkill because I'm building it for my last rig. I just want to keep and collect it. It's not really for gaming and multimedia purposes. It would be part of my collection here (Display at the gaming corner of my room together with my rack of Razer). :)

*by the way, Spirit if you could help me by this. Do you have any friend here in the Philippines, who expertise on gaming rig building?

ComNewbie

What spirit said is kinda true unless you wanna play crysis 3, or FSX in which case you'll need every bit of grunt available.

Bigfella nice to see you around my post.
Still you were checking on my post. Thank you

I'm not really successful on the games that I played that's why I decided to divert and collect the looks & performance of a rig since from the start of my gaming life, I really appreciated the beauty of each high end hardware that most MSI and Asus produced. That's what I'm after now.

Hope I can do this. Happy evening to all :)