Buzzing noise under keyboard

Washrag

Every once and a while my laptop will have this little high pitched buzzing coming from under the keyboard. If I press a key and hold it down it goes away and sometimes comes back when I let the key off. Sometimes it will stop completely. It's not very loud, but I can definitely hear it with my ear to the keyboard. Any ideas as to what this is?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I'd need to see the laptop to really know for sure, but I suspect it's simply capacitors. I've seen(heard) computers do this and it's usually nothing to worry about. It could be the sign of something failing, but I know one of the HP's I had did it the entire time I owned it.

premierxxx

If laptop is on warranty see if you can replace motherboard. If you approach them with problem you described, they most likely will replace speakers first, so I advice telling them some kind of story that renders motherboard replacement necessary.

If not on the warranty sell it.

Most likely cause are caps on your motherboard. Very tricky to replace, since boards are multi layered and caps are very small.

Washrag

If laptop is on warranty see if you can replace motherboard. If you approach them with problem you described, they most likely will replace speakers first, so I advice telling them some kind of story that renders motherboard replacement necessary.

If not on the warranty sell it.

Most likely cause are caps on your motherboard. Very tricky to replace, since boards are multi layered and caps are very small.

Are you joking? It's not that serious, and I wouldn't go through all that trouble over a suspicion. But thanks for the suggestion.