buzzing powersupply

michaelman25

ok so me and my grandfarher took apart a very old(like 15 years)packard bell to clean and after we vaccumed we took out the ram and the restart button wires

but when we put it back together we turned the computer on but it didn't start it just started buzzing and finaly we found out that it is the powersupply that is buzzing so whe spent about an hour checking what we had done and finally we just gave up

can anyone help

4W4K3

VIP Member
do you know what exactly in the PSU is buzzing? is it the fan, or is it the circuitry? kinda hard to tell from that description. do you get fans to spin up at all when boot-up? or does it just sit there? also what kind of PSU is it...i know its old so maybe you cant tell. maybe you can give me the computer name?

michaelman25

well the regular fan dosen't come on and we didn't want to open the powersupply because we where afraid to cause any more damage

the buzzing is coming from the back of the power supply where the wires are coming out

o and correction its not as old its a 1995

and its a packard bell 133mHz

4W4K3

VIP Member
you should open the power supply. just dont touch any of the circuitry. it might be a wire caught in the fan or something like that shorting it out. if its covered in plastic it wont electricute you.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Beware of capacitors!
I don't think a blocked PSU fan can cause that problem. It's more like a short-circuit somewhere on the wires.

4W4K3 said:
you should open the power supply. just dont touch any of the circuitry. it might be a wire caught in the fan or something like that shorting it out. if its covered in plastic it wont electricute you.

Do not do what he said. its not very good advice considering if you touch the wrong thing it can kill you.

4w4k3 you have no idea what he is capable of. How do you know he has knowlege of what a capacitor or circuitry is? Might as well tell him go open a monitor and to be careful, or stick your finger in a light socket but make sure they're dry. Please watch the advice you give someone.

most simple advice for a power supply buzz, Just give is some love taps. buzzing will stop. you'll be surprised of the outcome.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ok so me and my grandfarher took apart a very old(like 15 years)packard bell to clean and after we vaccumed we took out the ram and the restart button wires
1. Not a good idea to mess around
2. Not a good idea to vaccuum
3. Ive nto read the rest yet but "not a good idea"

but when we put it back together we turned the computer on but it didn't start it just started buzzing and finaly we found out that it is the powersupply that is buzzing so whe spent about an hour checking what we had done and finally we just gave up
COuld be anything froma knocked capactiro to the magnets from the vaccuum fuking some stuff up.

NOT A GOOD IDEA.

if its covered in plastic it wont electricute you.
You wanna bet?

most simple advice for a power supply buzz, Just give is some love taps. buzzing will stop. you'll be surprised of the outcome.
Or in the case that its a 15 year old crappy PSU, get a new one :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
considering i myself have opened and worked on my power supply (i am no expert) and never gotten hurt i dont see how its a bad idea. i've installed lights and helped a friend wire his pump inside the powersupply...didn't even get zapped. i don't see how it's bad advice unless the guy is maybe 5yrs. old and drools alot. a little common sense should keep him pretty safe, worked for me.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Or in the case that its a 15 year old crappy PSU, get a new on
STFU -- i'll quote you if I want to -- even though I didnt ... people like you give Americans that image of being arrogant.

a little common sense should keep him pretty safe, worked for me.
Yes but you can never avoid accidents ... and an accident with a PSU is never kewl :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
i've been electricuted a few times, but never by a PSU. all i meant was for him to remove the cover and have a look see...not to take it to pieces. if you notice anything odd...look it up first and see if its sposed to be that way. i guess that would be the safest way to do it if your not familiar with the PSU. your grandpa might be able to help you, if he knows about computers.

michaelman25

ok i opened it up( i didn't touch anything inside ) and there was no wire in the fan and it sounds like the buzzing is comeing from one of the capasitors

and it was on'y the vaccum nozzel it was not the acttual vaccum

4W4K3

VIP Member
hmm...well then i would say its just old and pooped out. i dont think theres anything you can do in this situation. maybe by taking it out and working on your computer you knocked it loose or something. but i mean even a PSU after 4-5yrs. is going to start showing age. can you afford another one?

4W4K3

VIP Member
michaelman25 said:
yes i can afford another one

but i figgured it would be very hard to find one for a 10 year old packard bell 133

you know what kind of plugs/cables it uses? i got an old 95watt Delta electronics PSU from a REALLY old AMD. Ebay is your friend lol.