C Drive low on space - Help Needed

eey

I have a big problem with my computers C drive and I don’t know how to fix it. Im hoping someone can help me.

My computers C drive is running low on free space but I don’t know why.

The drive has 120GB capacity and all files (including hidden files) take up 41.4GB but there is only 9.3 GB free.
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG

The drive is a Corsair Force 3 SSD. I only use it for my operating system and other programs. I checked that the driver is up to date and that the drive is working correctly.

I run disk clean-up in windows and ccleaner frequently but its made no meaningful difference. There are no previous windows installations taking up space.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    18.8 KB · Views: 5

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

eey

The C drive is only for windows and other programs. All of my other files (documents, photos, videos, games, etc) are stored on other drives. The problem is that all of my files on the C drive (including hidden files) only take up approximately 41.4GB.

Windows says I only have 9 GB free which means that there are roughly 60GB which windows says is in use but I cant account for.

77.2GB is listed as system & reserved
20.7GB is listed as Apps & Games (although I dont have any games installed onto the C drive)

The reset is just a few MB here and there.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Use windirstat. It will give you a better idea of what is using all the space. Post the graphic map that it shows you and we will help.

eey

A very starange thing has happened. Yesterday evening when I shut down my PC I had approximately 9 GB free. Today on startup I have found that I have 25.7GB free. I have deleted nothing and done nothing so I dont know why I suddenly have more space.

Ive installed the program and the image I think you wanted is below.

Capture5 (75).png

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
According to that image, you have 39.3 gb in use for system restore. What OS are you using? You need to reduce the size of what system restore uses.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yeah, reduce system restore to like 2%

If your system is working well right now I would even turn off system restore, reboot so it deletes any restore data, then turn it back on.

I would also run the command "powercfg -h off" in an elevated command prompt to disable hibernation. You can then delete the hiberfil.sys from the C:\ drive.