C vs. D drive

Hi,

I have a stupid question. I have a new laptop (my first), an Acer Aspire 3680. Storage on this thing was divided btw the C and D drive. I have read I could combine them, but that would come with more problems, so I'm not too worried about that.
Everything I store on my laptop is stored in the C drive by default, while the D drive remains empty.

I was told (by someone who always gives bad computer advice) that even though my storage drives are divided (c and d) that I should not store running applications in the D drive and for unknown reasons, even though on this computer I have both the C and D drive for storage, things will simply function better on the C drive.

So my question is. with the D drive sitting there empty, what can I do with it?
CD's, DVD's, USB's and all those things each have their own drive.

Since I am a college student I would like to use the D drive for documents and pdf's since I download many for my classes.

So my question is, 1.) what is safe for putting in that D drive? and 2.) is there any reason I can't put pdf's and doc's there in D?

yours truly -
tinylittlepeewee

RedTab

Hi,

I have a stupid question. I have a new laptop (my first), an Acer Aspire 3680. Storage on this thing was divided btw the C and D drive. I have read I could combine them, but that would come with more problems, so I'm not too worried about that.
Everything I store on my laptop is stored in the C drive by default, while the D drive remains empty.

I was told (by someone who always gives bad computer advice) that even though my storage drives are divided (c and d) that I should not store running applications in the D drive and for unknown reasons, even though on this computer I have both the C and D drive for storage, things will simply function better on the C drive.

Since I am a college student I would like to use the D drive for documents and pdf's since I download many for my classes.

So my question is, 1.) what is safe for putting in that D drive? and 2.) is there any reason I can't put pdf's and doc's there in D?

yours truly -
tinylittlepeewee

why not? C and D drive are both the same..only that they have different name

Deepblue

This depends on the system, Some systems such a HP store a image of the C:\ on the D:\ to be used for system restores (Reformat/Reinstall).
This images reformats the c:\ and reinstalls Windows back to the factory install.
there is not any other room on this drive for anything other then that image
and is not a good idea to save to this drive.
If your system is like this and you dont care to have the restore image
then yes you can combine the 2 drives but be warned that this is the only copy of windows that comes with systems like this.

some systems also give you the chance to create a DVD of this image so you can delete the d:\ drive image, you should check any documents that came with the laptop first

Geoff

VIP Member
Most likely it's because HP partitioned the drive and either made D drive just for the recovery files, or made it large enough for data. You can store programs or files on there, but it is a bit more of a pain to install apps on the D drive because you have to manually tell the program where to install to.

systek

banned
a screenshot would probably help out. I've never seen a restorable image be put in a separate partition that was viewable by the end user while in windows. but weirder things have been done...so i cant say for sure. if it is showing available space, go for it, you can store any data on there...

apj101

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];744529 said:
Most likely it's because HP partitioned the drive and either made D drive just for the recovery files, or made it large enough for data. You can store programs or files on there, but it is a bit more of a pain to install apps on the D drive because you have to manually tell the program where to install to.
Its not too much trouble to manually tell it to install to the d drive, and if the c drive is pretty full and runs the OS then there could be a smally benefit for running apps from D:
although i guess we need to know how big each of the drives are and if d: is truely empty.

a screenshot would probably help out. I've never seen a restorable image be put in a separate partition that was viewable by the end user while in windows. but weirder things have been done...so i cant say for sure. if it is showing available space, go for it, you can store any data on there...
its not common, but it happens

systek

banned
Its not too much trouble to manually tell it to install to the d drive, and if the c drive is pretty full and runs the OS then there could be a smally benefit for running apps from D:

yeh, this doesnt pose a problem with data or programs...but with large capacity drives available, who needs to install apps on a second hdd??

luckyedboy66

Hi,

yours truly -
tinylittlepeewee

"tiny little pee wee"... im sorry you are not well endowed :(. you are absolutely right about the guy who gives bad advice... there is no problem at all...