cable from mobo to Card reader problem

Shinnen

Hi,
I have a Card Reader which is 5 pin* out; and I would like to install it on a mobo which is a 10 pin* Flex Bay USB connector. (Dell Dimension 3100). Is there any way of doing this?
Thanks,
...... john
Mobo - 10pin* (2rows of 5)
Card Reader - 5pin*

P.S. The cable that's attached to the card reader is 5 pin** at the reader end and 4 pin** at the other end.
* male
** female

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Screen shots would help of the connector or at least a model number of the card reader. Card readers usually have a standard usb header on the head to attach to the motherboard.

Shinnen

Hi John,
The card is an HP P/N 2070-2028. It came from another HP computer, the model of which I've forgotten. But, it's board had a header that connected to the 4 card cable. (The cable connector at the board end has 4 wires, but 5 wires at the card end. I'm not sure why that is.)
The board I want to connect to has what is called a FlexBay USB connector (10Pin), and there aren't any other connectors that will accomadate the 4 wire cable that is currently attached to the reader.
My guess is that I need a different cable, with a 5 pin connector at the reader end, and a 10 pin (2x5) connector at the board end. However, I have my doubts that all 10 pins are necessary since my cable has only 4 wires at the board end. I suppose I could experiment to find out what pins are necessary, but I'm reluctant. (I have a lot of cables here, but none of the 10 pin ends have10 open holes.)
The reader has the usual slots (4): SmartMedia/XD, CompactFlash l/ll/MD, SD/Mini MMC/RS/Plus/Mobile, and MS/PRO/Duo/PRO Duo. Are there any pictures that wouldl help?
Thanks,
... john
P.S. Since the card connects to USB is there any way of fiddling it to work with one of my USB outlets?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Your best bet is to buy a new card reader that will connect directly to the usb header on the motherboard. Those HP card readers are proprietary to HP motherboards.

Shinnen

Hi John,
Yes, you're right. Somehow I missed that (minor;)) point >>> I'm trying to install an HP reader on a Dell computer.
Thanks again for the help.
.... john