cable issues in my own build

Ryan Tegtmeier

There is a simple answer I presume but I am wondering if there is a simple way to know why I shouldn't use a single cable to connect the power to multiple storage sources. I was putting together my own build and it started smoking (yikes!) . I separated the cables into each storage device and it works fine now. Is there a simple way to tell what instances there are where I can use a single cable for both storage sources? I don't mind using separate cables; I just want to know why it started smoking. Thank you in advance.

Agent Smith

It started to smoke because you were pulling too many amps. Just like if you plugged in too many Xmas lights into the same socket. Now you know never to do that again. I'm surprised your PSU didn't kick off. It sure as hell should have before it started to smoke. That's very disconcerting. What make and model is the PSU anyway?

To know how many devices you can daisy chain is basically common sense I suppose. Like, you can connect two optical drives to the same power cable as those don't consume much power. But if you look at the HDD, you should see that there is a label on power consumption. Look at the amp rating.

Ryan Tegtmeier

ty agent. That makes sense. I was wondering if too many things were pulling on the same cable was a bad thing, but I thought, well if it doesn't work it will just malfunction of turn off or not turn on at all. I didn't anticipate the smoke, lol. But now I know and knowing is half the battle. G.I. Joe! j/k but thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. :)