Cabled connection better than WIFI?

EINREB

In general terms, is a cabled connection not better and more reliable than a WIFI one? Just wondering. I have a choice between the two for my desktop, and I use a cable now.

beers

Staff member
Use a cable/wire/cord if you can.

Higher data rates, less interference, no CDMA/CA in a shared airspace.

Geoff

VIP Member
Wired is almost always a better choice, assuming you are comparing similarly aged variants (i.e. not 10/100 ethernet to 802.11ac wireless). If you are the only device on a wireless network and you live in a rural area, the latest 802.11ac is right up there with gigabit wired connections, however since wireless is a shared medium and has dramatic reductions in performance when subject to interference or with more multiple users, it's almost always not as good as a solid wired connection.

EINREB

Thank you. I have a router that has wireless capabilities and we use both the wired and wireless features of it. All our fixed computers (3) are hard wired, our laptops (2) are wireless, because we often use them out of the house in places where they have WiFi available. I was just curious what was better if you have a choice of using either one of them.

Laquer Head

I can break the 1Gbps barrier on wireless using my triband router and asus pcie adapter... but yes. cable is always more consistent and not subjected to ups and downs.

that being said, wireless tech has can so so so far in the last few years..its pretty awesome. Im still amazed at the speeds I get and rarely plug in anymore.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I can break the 1Gbps barrier on wireless using my triband router and asus pcie adapter...
Do you though... they "rate" it at 1900... but lots of reviews of Wireless AC gives you a connection of around 600mbps.

Also, nothing beats Ethernet when it comes to low latency.

Laquer Head

Do you though... they "rate" it at 1900... but lots of reviews of Wireless AC gives you a connection of around 600mbps.

Also, nothing beats Ethernet when it comes to low latency.

I get 867 steady on my laptop using an intel 7265ac.. my PC with the ASUS chip and tri band ac-3200 has hit 1.3G (no its not constant..but easily over 1G regularly.)

EDIT: the laptop caps at 867 just to clarify... only the PC does in excess of 1G