Cache???

BMcCoy

Can someone explain to me how cache works? When you click an image and it says downloading, where does it download to?? Is this something to do with cache?? I'm just trying to figure some of this stuff out.. :D Please help...

Ben

Cache is the speed of you hard drive, CPU and memory. The download is going to a temporary file

EX:

Under Win95, 98 and ME it would go to:
C:\WINDOWS\Temp
Under Windows 200, XP and 2003 (even Longhorn)
C:\Documents And Settings\(your name)\Local settings\Temp
To enable local settings:
Go to Folder options and select show hidden files and folders.

BMcCoy

One more question.. Can I open the temp folder and delete everything in it, or should I be concerned that I will delete something important???

Ben

Morb

When you are downloading something from I-net, it is downloaded to temporary file(usually TEMP dir- it depends on the paths that are set in ENVIROMENT VARIABLES) as the process takes place, and after verification(all data-whole file) are downloaded it is renamed and placed to folder where you selected to place it in "Save as" or other dialog in downloading request. The temporary file is deleted after this automatically.

Cache (I'm not totaly sure, but I think that this is right)
-cache is "cache" ;o). It is part of your memory which your computer uses in process in which your comp. try to "guess" (with help of complicated algorithms) which file/program will be used(read to/write to) in "near future"(in miliseconds and less) to speed up the process(copying, loading, etc.). Generaly an average success of cache is about 65%(it mostly varies). This is my guess ;o).

SORRY to hardware fans if I am mistaken :D

Last edited:

Sebouh

so if the bigger the cache the faster the calculations and the faster the application startup ... right?

OS Dragon

Yep, You can see cache working when; for example a MS Word crashes and when you open Word again there is document that was save in cache. :D

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Cache is the speed of you hard drive, CPU and memory.
NO.jpg
the cache is a CPU component where the CPU does all its math calculations.
see above picture
cache is "cache" ;o). It is part of your memory which your computer uses in process in which your comp. try to "guess" (with help of complicated algorithms) which file/program will be used(read to/write to) in "near future"(it mostly varies).
sort of...
So cache has nothing to do with memory?
cache is memory.

Whats really confusing for you/others reading this tread is the cache type hasn't remained consistant. While the idea is the same for all caching, the internet cache and CPU cache are way different.

BlaBli

Cromewell: u were right... i was wrong with my answer...
so i checked it out and got this simple to understand explanation on what is cache:

The idea of the cache is that this extremely fast memory would store and data that is frequently accessed and also if possible the data that is around it. This is to achieve the quickest possible response time to the CPU. Its based on playing the percentages. If a certain piece of data has been requested 5 times before, its likely that this specific piece of data will be required again and so is stored in the cache memory.

taken from:
http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/CPU/CPU Cache.shtml

Sebouh

Thanks alot man! this helped alot! But now if the cache is the place to store frequently used files and the probably used files, what about the virtual memory, this confuses me!!!

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Sebouh said:
Thanks alot man! this helped alot! But now if the cache is the place to store frequently used files and the probably used files, what about the virtual memory, this confuses me!!!

Basically if all of your physical RAM is being used, the hard drive will temporarily store the excess data. This process of moving the data - too large to fit in internal memory - to your hard drive and back is called swapping. The CPU basically thinks it has more memory, but it also slows everything down.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Sebouh said:
But what does the cpu write there, what kind of info, different from the cache?

Level 1 cache is built into your processor. Level 2 cache is SRAM (Static RAM). It is faster than DRAM(Dynamic RAM). We commonly refer to DRAM as just RAM. SRAM is also more expensive and larger than Dynamic RAM. Level 2 cache is located between the CPU and the DRAM. DRAM needs to be constantly refreshed, whereas the static RAM is just that, Static.

Virtual memory is located on a portion of your hard drive, a swap file.

Under control panel, system properties... click the advanced tab, then performance properties. There you will see the properties of your virtual memory.

If you run out of physical memory (RAM) your CPU will be able to use the virtual memory on your Hard drive as though it was RAM.

BMcCoy

Thanks everyone!!! this is really what I needed help with. Memory is one of the most confusing things about a pc...

Ben

Sebouh

But this doesn't answer my question. I want to know what type of info is written on the physical or virtual memory?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Sebouh said:
But this doesn't answer my question. I want to know what type of info is written on the physical or virtual memory?

Instructions that the processor needs to perform a set of tasks is stored in RAM. If you are running a program many instructions are being stored in specific locations in RAM waiting for the processor calls for them. A copy of those instructions are then sent to the processor, for... processing. The data in RAM is temporarily stored there. If the power is turned off everything in RAM is gone. Even though the R in RAM means random, there IS an order to how the sets of instructions are stored in RAM. Each instruction has a place in memory and can be called by its address... Just like on a hard drive.

The same "kind" of instructions are being sent to either physical or virtual memory. Think of virtual memory as just an extension of RAM, if RAM is full. Only, virtual memory is just stored in a certain location on your hard drive awaiting the processors call....

Sebouh

so the ram contains the instructions and data needed for the prog that is running, and this prog stors its info there. ok thanks that answers my question.