CAD PC Hardware suggestions needed...

paulcheung

In my opinion, The biggest problem with Vista is XP was about 8 years old and no one wanted to upgrade. I am not saying it does not have problems but it was so different from XP not many could understand it. For a NVIDA card to use 2 monitors you have to have 2 GPU's.

I have use laptops with single NVIDA card for dual paly. don't know if the desktop will be different.

jonnyp11

From the 2500k to the 2600k, there is about a 33% increase, the have the same number of cores but the 2600k has hyper threading, so each cores acts like 2, taking in double the info, but it's not quite that much more powerful, so it doesn't increase the performance too much. And what's the other processor, you said 3870, but that's not even an i7, and if you meant the 3820, that's similar to the 2600k, but the mobos are more so if you don't want to up to a 5-600 cpu later then that's pointless. But getting the 3930K might help you some, like the i7-2600 is 4 HT'd cores, it is 6 as 12, and for what you want would do amazing.

southsoon1

Okay, I did it with most of everyones recommendations.... :rolleyes:

I ended up going only slightly overboard but I"d rather be over than under. I spent about $200 more than I had to but I"ll be able to sleep at night. I haven't yet decided on the video card yet as it is really a touchy and expensive subject. I am going to just stay open to suggestions as hopefully people will come out of the woodwork who actually use the pro video cards. Even the guy at the computer store told me that he could try to sell me a gamer card but I'd be much better off with a pro card. Looks like everyone is in agreement here. :)

Here's what I got....
C922 case (recommended because some pro video cards can be pretty big).
P8Z68-V Pro Asus motherboard
i7 2600 processor
WD 500 gig 7200 SATA for OS and software
2TB 5400 Seagate SATA for file storage
TX850M corsair PS
Hyper 212 plus cooler (shockingly quiet I should say)
16 GIG DDR3 1600
Asus diversity wireless card (PCE-N15)
Win 7 Professional Pro (required for some CAD programs and pro video cards).
Name brand burner but I can't remember off hand who's it was.

Windows is loading now and with a little luck, after the MB drivers are installed it will purr like a tiger. :)

Hopefully it will treat me well. I"m still open to video card suggestions and information. Thank you to everyone who has helped me to spend my money.. Hopefully wisely. :)

From the 2500k to the 2600k, there is about a 33% increase, the have the same number of cores but the 2600k has hyper threading, so each cores acts like 2, taking in double the info, but it's not quite that much more powerful, so it doesn't increase the performance too much. And what's the other processor, you said 3870, but that's not even an i7, and if you meant the 3820, that's similar to the 2600k, but the mobos are more so if you don't want to up to a 5-600 cpu later then that's pointless. But getting the 3930K might help you some, like the i7-2600 is 4 HT'd cores, it is 6 as 12, and for what you want would do amazing.