Camera Help

Hyper_Kagome

Well, my mom and step dad were just talking about how they think they're going to get me a DSLR for a graduation present to me.

Now... I had one in mind, but I know some new ones have come onto the market lately, so I was wondering...
- Any suggestions?
- Please back up your suggestions with some reasons.
- Lense suggestions would also be nice.

ANY help at all would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Hyper_Kagome

I have no clue, to be honest... they're the ones buying it. I guess, once I get a list going on here with all the pros and cons to each camera suggested, I'll get some prices in there as well and show them.

Punk

Staff member
I have the Nikon D40 which is the entry price of DSLR (550$).

It works perfectly, here are some pictures taken with it:

http://www.panoramio.com/user/12458

Pros:

• Easy to use interface
  • ISO 200 to ISO 1600
  • The 550$ comes with a 18-55mm and 70-300mm lens
  • Shutter speed from 1/4000 to 30s or bulb mode
  • Choice between autofocus or manual
  • Compact and light.

Cons:
  • ISO setting could be lower
  • Only 6MP

Hyper_Kagome

I was once thinking of getting a Nikon D40x... would it be any better than the D40, or no?

I'm a bit of a camera noob, so I need to learn some more termolgy... would you mind giving me a run down on ISO? Or any websites that can do it?

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
I was once thinking of getting a Nikon D40x... would it be any better than the D40, or no?

Yes,

You get that better than the D40:
  • 10 megapixel sensor
  • Lower base sensitivity (ISO 100 vs ISO 200)
  • Auto ISO option includes ISO 200
  • Faster continuous shooting (3 fps vs. 2.5 fps)

ISO is the sensitivity to light. The lower, the less light and the neater the picture, the higher the more light and it will have more noise.

http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_iso.html

Last edited:

Hyper_Kagome

Thank you for the link.

I wonder if there are any D40x bundles with some lenses or if I'll have to look into lenses for it separately, if I were to go with that camera.

MBGraphics

VIP Member
I cant speak for Nikons, I have heard great things about them.

I can speak for Canon however, i absolutly love my XTi.

It's very similar to the Nikon D40X.

I have a Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 APO DG Macro lense, kit lense (which i dont use much anymore but is a great starter lense) and a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 lense. Both are great for the price, the sigma is 220 and the Tamron can be found used for around 280-300.

What kind of pictures will you be taking?

BTW, here is a link to my Flickr site, all pictures have been taken with my XTi and either the tamron or the sigma lense: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mb-photography/

All pictures of Hockey and cars are with the Tamron, everything else is with the Sigma.

Hyper_Kagome

Everywhere I've been calling seems to either not have the D40x or it's been discontinued/replaced with the D60, which is basically the same thing as the D40x, but with some added on features such as dust reduction and cleaning functions.

Soooo, I think my step dad and I might be going into the city today/soon to go pick up a Nikon D60, if we can find one anywhere. Funny enough, we checked Superstore/Camera shops/etc, and Future Shop was the cheapest.

massahwahl

VIP Member
I endorse canons as well. I LOVE my XSI. A big advantage to the canons is that with very inexpensive adapters, their lenses are completely backwards compatible (If you dont mind manual focus on older lenses) which will save you a lot of money. I tried the D40 and it does not feel nearly as solidly built as the canons do IMO.

Just my 2 cents....

MBGraphics

VIP Member
Yes, the new XSi is pretty sweet, not much difference between it and the XTi besides live view, a new battery, uses SD instead of CF cards, new menus blah blah blah :p
They did make some good improvments on it. I spent most of my day today messin around with one(my friends) It is her 17th bday on monday an her parents gave it to her early so she can maybe use it for the 4th. But it's pretty nice.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Its a nice upgrade from the XT. I will say i still dont use the live view as I feel the viewfinder gives a better and more accurate composition prior to taking the picture.

MBGraphics

VIP Member
Ya that was one of the main things i noticed too. But the grid feature on it made it pretty cool (and easy to use "The Rule Of The Thirds)

And yes, the XSi is a great step-up from the XT, lots more improvments. I do believe they did a nice job upgrading the little things.

Hyper_Kagome

Yeah.. you're a little late now, my step-dad and I went in and looked around, picked up the D60... what I just learnt not long ago is that it doesn't have Live-View, I guess. Oh well, though.

I'm still open for more recommendations, for later on, or whatever.

Punk

Staff member
Yeah.. you're a little late now, my step-dad and I went in and looked around, picked up the D60... what I just learnt not long ago is that it doesn't have Live-View, I guess. Oh well, though.

I'm still open for more recommendations, for later on, or whatever.

You'll be fine with a D60, it's a great camera. Learn how to use the settings, then go for manual settings, you'll have more control over your camera. Once you feel you've reached the camera's limit, that will be the time to get a new one :).

I'm still learning a lot of things on my D40.