Camera Suggestions

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I could do my own research and figure this all out but a bunch of folks here take some pretty good pictures and know a thing or 2 about them already :)

So the short of it is, I'm going on a trip to Japan and I need a camera. I don't really care about video quality, I only plan on taking stills. I don't want to spend a ton on it, an SLR is way more camera than I need.

Budget is about $400CAD.

tremmor

Im not a tech on this subject Cromewell. I will say i can not afford the cameras that some have. I will say I have a Cannon S3IS with every single attachment and is enough to keep me busy. Telescopic lens, macro, wide angle etc. lot cheaper. The models available are newer. Love to go back to Japan. Ya do and will want something with a telescopic lens.
Just sharing what im thinking. another adventure for you.

spirit

Staff member
If you want a camera with a massive zoom and you don't want or need a D-SLR then may I recommend the FinePix S4000? I have one, it has a 30x optical zoom and up to around 120x digital zoom. It's a nice camera and has automatic and manual settings - you need to play around with it though to get good photos, and some editing may be required if you want your photos to really stand out. If you want to see some sample shots then check out the Post your pictures thread, all my photos in there were taken on the S4000.

Otherwise there's the Canon PowerShot SX-40 which has a 35x zoom IIRC.

tremmor

Also suggest download the PDF from the manufacture you get the camera from. I emailed to a office supply and said print it. cost about 7.00 and enough to keep me busy the rest of my life.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
When it comes to P&S cameras, I would never touch anything other than Canon. All the Canon P&S's I've used have worked wonders. Good picture quality, controls, performance. Overall amazing.

*Edit*

Same goes to Super-Zooms

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I can't buy from newegg since apparently my postal code is invalid :mad:

Thanks for the input everyone, at least now I wont have to use a phone :p

Last edited: