Camera Transfer Software vs. Windows Import?

Steve Mavronis

I'm experimenting with my new Nikon P60 digital camera. It comes with software called Nikon Transfer to copy pictures from the camera to the PC.

I used to have a Canon digital camera before this one and it's software always copied pictures to a folder name based on the picture date taken which is great.

The Nikon software unfortunately names folders based on the actual transfer date to copy the pictures into.

Now Windows (Vista) has an Import option when you right-click on the camera icon in (My) Computer. The Import tool lets you transfer pictures into a folder name based on picture date taken plus a rotate picture option and lets you add a descriptive tag to the folder name!

The Windows method requires somewhat more user intervention but do you also think it's a better choice for sorting photos on your PC?

I don't really care when pictures are transfered and folder names based on that. I want to find them by the date they were taken don't you?

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Probably, it's really all up to you. Although personally I would take the card out of the camera and use a card reader to transfer the pictures over as that saves the battery power on the camera. (Using the USB cable drains the batteries on the camera more than any other function, by far!)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Using the USB cable drains the batteries on the camera more than any other function, by far!
Even using the flash as a poorman's strobe at a party? :p

In anycase, it's also likely that the cable transfer speed will be slower than a "dedicated" (and cheap!) card reader