Can an image of a bright object damage a monitor?

JohnJSal

Sort of a random question that I've always wondered about. If a screen saver, for example, contains an image of a bright object like a sun, can leaving that image on your screen for a prolonged period of time damage that part of the screen, such as with burn-in or burning out those pixels?

Attached is an example screen saver image that just popped up on my monitor.

Thanks!

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 4

Laquer Head

Screensaver shouldn't be a fixed object. Kinda the whole point of them is to have a constantly moving object while your away from the machine so that burn-in etc doesn't happen.

I wouldn't worry about a bright object, per se, but I also would be using a screensaver that moves like any of the stock ones the are included with Windows.

..or just flip your monitor off when you are going to do something else, as you would with your TV.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thats just color not brightness. I haven't used a screensaver in years, I mean years. Just go into power settings and set it to turn monitor off at a certain time of inactivity. I use like 10 minutes.

JohnJSal

Oops, I was using the wrong term. Sorry about that. I didn't mean screen saver, I meant the background wallpaper, which is what I attached an image of. Does having a bright object like that in a background wallpaper hurt anything?

And while we're on the subject of screen savers, what about screen savers that keep the background on-screen and just move other things around on the screen with it? For example, there is a "Bubbles" screen saver that I have that leaves the wallpaper on the screen, but then has transparent bubbles moving across the screen. So I'm not sure if this counts as actual "movement" of the background, since the image stays put with the bubbles moving over it.

Thanks.

Intel_man

VIP Member
The brightness of your monitor is independent to the picture being displayed on the monitor. What you think is "bright" is just a large amounts of white pixels being displayed. The intensity of the brightness is typically adjusted through the monitor settings via buttons on the monitor or software that can control those buttons within the OS.

Essentially, no, displaying a wallpaper that may perhaps be a photograph of someone welding will not damage your screen so long as you don't leave it as the same image for a long period of time (ie turning off your screen or having a screensaver will avoid that problem).