Can anyone explain RAID to me...

twolves90

Hello. I am about to try out my first build and im confused about what raid is...

im trying to learn everything i need to know about building comps but im lost at this one and RAID 101 isnt helping...

what is RAID?
is it something i have to configure with each build?
huh?

thx for responses ahead of time:eek:

twolves90

to what stage are you insure of what it is ???? do you know that it is a fault tolerance????

well... you see, while i understand compatibilities between components and what not, i don't always understand the technical jargon.

overall, i have no clue what raid means nor how its aplied to HDDs... so hen its used in context, i get confused

:
but im lost at this one and RAID 101 isnt helping...

thank you tho

twolves90

ok, i read a bit of it, and i have a question... is RAID just referring to increasing performance over multiple drives?

or maybe a better question for my purpose is...

If im only installing one HDD for my comp for regular usage, do I need to know and understand RAID?

ty

ETSA

It either mirrors another drive essentially making a backup or improving performance by allowing 2 disks to access information at once therefore it gathers the information faster than one. The later is most used on desktops the first is used with servers a lot.

That is it, basically.

BTW RAID is not something you have to do.

twolves90

:eek: tyvm for clarifying that! i am going to be ordering the rest of my parts soon for my new build and im nervous at setting it up.. lol... ty