Can anyone recommend a mobile hotspot to be used as home internet?

JohnJSal

I've been trying to do some research on this, but all I seem to find are cell phone-related plans or add-ons. Do mobile hotspot plans exist that are not tied to cell phone service? If so, how much data do they offer? I can't seem to find much that would serve as a replacement for home internet, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

My only other option would be satellite internet, which I hate, and currently I'm not sure I can get it anyway with the pandemic. Even still, I think a mobile hotspot would be much quicker than what I usually get on satellite. The only concern is data. I'd like at least 50-100 GB, but I'm not sure if that's even a thing for mobile hotspots.

Thanks.

beers

Staff member
Do you have an idea of which carriers you have decent signal with?

That level of data will be pretty pricey, Sprint probably has the best hotspot plan at 100GB for $60/mo

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sprint probably has the best hotspot plan at 100GB for $60/mo
I'd be careful about Sprint. I have them and since the merge with Tmobile. service is my area sucks now. Can't get data but phone says full LTE signal.

JohnJSal

Do you have an idea of which carriers you have decent signal with?

That level of data will be pretty pricey, Sprint probably has the best hotspot plan at 100GB for $60/mo

I use T-Mobile for my cell phone, and the speed is good most of the time. Not sure about any of the others.

That Sprint plan sounds good, but yeah, with the merger pending, I wonder if it will change. Possibly the service would get better? Or just become T-Mobile? Is there a way to test a carrier in my area?