Can anything be done?

vonfeldt7

I was recently looking up some info. for my psp...and I came across (various) websites/forums that had all kinds of illegal stuff. One website has one the forums just dedicated to this. "170 Isos and counting" and they're all just free downloads (rapidshare/megaupload and all of those kinds of sites).

I never knew how bad the illegal downloading of games was (I knew movies/music was bad...but games?) until recently...and I'm just stunned. Why is nothing being done about this? I'm talking about torrents, limewire, websites such as the one I mentioned above, etc.

If anything pisses me off, its this type of thing, and let me guess nothing can be done because these people have their "rights."

Anyways, I'm just curious as to why nothing is being done.

Redbull{wings}

it's not as much as they have their rights, in fact no right really gives them the right to do that it's just that game companies can't do anything because for everyone one they stop 3 more pop up it's just impossible to catch. Plus like ThatGuy said downloads are used for legal purposes so you can't just stop them

GabeIsGone

they cant really do much because of what other people have said, and also the MPAA and RIAA are in my opinion retarded, not only is their-anti piracy technology always like 3 years behind the current technology, but they depend more on legal action than preventative, which in turn only hurts the people who are to stupid or uneducated to protect themselves which turns out to be little kids or computer illiterate people (who dont even download that much anyway). Also another big thing is that alot of these websites are based overseas (like torrentspy.com which is based in sweden), so are pretty much invulnerable.

I can get games for free and be totally legal, I am a Radeon owner, lol..... But, you really shouldn't rave about this, you don't own a software company....

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Why shouldn't he stand up for this? This type of sharing is blatant stealing, and you're hurting the exact thing you love when you do something like this. Torrents and other applications like peer to peer sharing can be used for many legal uses, therefore the reason why this can't be abolished all together; in addition to the other reasons like the countries certain sites are located.

Why shouldn't he stand up for this? This type of sharing is blatant stealing, and you're hurting the exact thing you love when you do something like this. Torrents and other applications like peer to peer sharing can be used for many legal uses, therefore the reason why this can't be abolished all together; in addition to the other reasons like the countries certain sites are located.

DCIScouts, I buy all of my games legally, I ignore this type of thing. And since when were you the perfect being that walks the Earth? As if you haven't done something illegally on a computer, whether it be piracy of software or music.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
I actually think it's funny when it comes to music, considering how barbaric the music industry is. They can't grasp the concept of change for the better, for the future, so they keep on screaming at prince for giving away his album for free, and at you and me for not buying from a record store anymore..

I may be alone in this but I think the sharing of music (and maybe movies) can be beneficial to everyone, if the people in charge only got off their asses and attempted to open their mouth without blame and screaming to converse about the future of music, etc instead of blindly coveting their throne and yelling at all of us monkeys getting in the view of their perfect creation.

Good Ol' Ramos

It's all about money. None of this would be a real issue if our economic system were to regress (or as I see it, progress) back to a bartering system. People offering goods and services in exchange for goods and services. That way, all people will become self-actualized, nothing will be taken for granted, and everyone will get what they deserve. Anywho, why do I download things "illegaly" including games, music, and movies? Because I feel that I work hard, I have a lot to offer, yet from an American business and economical standpoint, I am nothing. I don't have the money for cable. I can't afford steak, so I eat ground beef. The internet is a priority because it's what I use to pay my bills, because I can't afford stamps, gas, etc. Sooooo... why should I be deprived of all types of enjoyment? I don't do it because I'm cheap or a self-proclaimed 1337 hack3r, I do it because I would have absolutely nothing to do on my days off. I can only vacuum so many times. Reading is great but I can't just read nonstop. I can't afford to rent movies, so I download the movie, watch it on the TV with my fiancée, and then delete it. My music collection is worth something like $4500. Do I have that kind of money just to listen to music I like? As for games, theres a caveat to illegal games. Multiplayer never works, it can rarely be updated, and it usually crashes. So if you really think I'm cheating all the people that spend money on their games, guess again. I have, however, purchased a few games in my lifetime when money was good, but I digress. Anywho, is that a sufficient answer?

DCIScouts

VIP Member
DCIScouts, I buy all of my games legally, I ignore this type of thing. And since when were you the perfect being that walks the Earth? As if you haven't done something illegally on a computer, whether it be piracy of software or music.

When did I say I was perfect? What I did say is that there is nothing wrong with someone standing up for something they believe is wrong.

I actually think it's funny when it comes to music, considering how barbaric the music industry is. They can't grasp the concept of change for the better, for the future, so they keep on screaming at prince for giving away his album for free, and at you and me for not buying from a record store anymore..

I may be alone in this but I think the sharing of music (and maybe movies) can be beneficial to everyone, if the people in charge only got off their asses and attempted to open their mouth without blame and screaming to converse about the future of music, etc instead of blindly coveting their throne and yelling at all of us monkeys getting in the view of their perfect creation.

I also agree that the music industry and movie industry are closed-minded and archaic in there techniques and policies. However, does that give us the right to do as we please with a product that someone has worked very hard to produce? I say no. However, that is my opinion, and everyone is entitled to theirs as well. Our society isn't and shouldn't be one that allows citizens to just follow the laws that they want to, and ignore the others that they don't, regardless of the policy.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
When did I say I was perfect? What I did say is that there is nothing wrong with someone standing up for something they believe is wrong.

I also agree that the music industry and movie industry are closed-minded and archaic in there techniques and policies. However, does that give us the right to do as we please with a product that someone has worked very hard to produce? I say no. However, that is my opinion, and everyone is entitled to theirs as well. Our society isn't and shouldn't be one that allows citizens to just follow the laws that they want to, and ignore the others that they don't, regardless of the policy.

society may not allow it's citizens to pick and choose what laws to abide by, but that doesn't hold true for the government or anyone with alot of money. Our unconstitutional government has gained too much power for a single entity. If we continue to allow this it may be taken out of our hands entirely. Either the people or the individual states need to stand up to this power and reassert the original intention of the forming of our great country.

The times may change but our values, morals and dignity don't have too. ;)

I'm moving to Canada soon anyway. :)

Good Ol' Ramos

However, does that give us the right to do as we please with a product that someone has worked very hard to produce? I say no. However, that is my opinion, and everyone is entitled to theirs as well. Our society isn't and shouldn't be one that allows citizens to just follow the laws that they want to, and ignore the others that they don't, regardless of the policy.

Ya know, it's not like the people aren't getting praise (or pay) for their work, anyway. Not currently, at least. A true artist is someone who just wants to have their message heard. I'm not saying "always steal, boo money" but I am saying that what is being done isn't the worst thing.

Redbull{wings}

Plus this is great for a lot of small artists because people normally wouldn't have bought their albums because they don't have big name record contracts. They get discovered through these downloads which in the end will make money for them and can save their careers.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Ya know, it's not like the people aren't getting praise (or pay) for their work, anyway. Not currently, at least. A true artist is someone who just wants to have their message heard. I'm not saying "always steal, boo money" but I am saying that what is being done isn't the worst thing.

Yeah.

I'm not a misdirectionist or anything but there are more pressing things going on in our world right now. The crisis of Darfur for one.. I can't believe this has been taking place, A ****ing genocide people.

I just think we all sound alittle petty when we can take such a strong stand against something so unimportant, yet when we can actually try to make difference our stubbornness and reliability disappears.

It's hard to admit but I too fail at this. In all my 17 years of life i have yet to actually make a difference in this altogether too large world. I dream of traveling the world and helping people, making their lives better, sharing some of my fortune. And i plan to too.

(Ah crap I'm too serious. Maybe alittle Wow will straighten me out.. Sigh)