Can connect to router but doesn't get internet

DRL25

I have a dell vostro 1000 running xp and when I'm at home my internet works fine, but when I go to work it connects to the router but I can't get online, everyone elses computers work there, and mine works everywhere else except there. I've tried resetting everything on my computer, I even completely restored it recently so I don't think it is my computer. Would this be a problem with the router?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Delete the wireless profile for that connection and reset it back up making sure you enter the correct security key for the wireless or is the wireless unsecured?

DRL25

but it won't assign an IP anymore for me, so I can't get to the sign in page, it says there is little or no signal but there are full bars

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try uninstalling the wireless card and reinstalling it with the latest driver. It's also possible your wireless card is having problems with the security that the router is using. Do you know what security is setup on the router?

DRL25

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, I can check if there is a newer driver for it though. My computer used to work there, It stopped working while I was using it actually, the signal started to get really low and I haven't been able to connect since. I'm not sure what security is set up but it seems to me like that could be the problem

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then it seems like the wireless card could have failed. Try connecting to the router via an ethernet cable and see if you can get online. The next step would be to get a usb wireless adapter and try connecting. If both ways allows you to connect and browse the web then you know its an issue with the wireless card inside the laptop or the wireless settings.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
More or less possibly. But i'm still guessing that since you said it slowed down and was having issue before it finally quit, then your wireless card may be having an issue with the type of security that is setup on the router. If uninstalling the wireless totally, rebooting and then reinstalling it don't solve it then I'm assuming the wireless card has somewhat failed.

Do you have access to a usb wireless adapter to try connecting to the router?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just post back after you have completed everything and let me know if things are better or same.

DRL25

I tried the wireless again with the driver update and also with the virus protection off and it still did not work

DRL25

which security do you mean? on the router? Also I just tried using an ethernet port and that didn't work either, so it's probably not the wireless card right? is there anything on the router that would be blocking my IP address or something along those lines?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If it didn't connect to internet with an ethernet cable then either there is a setting in the router that is stopping you from connecting or the lan driver isn't installed. Look in device manager to see if there any entries with a yellow question mark next to it.

DRL25

i checked and there are no entries with a yellow question mark, I tried unplugging the router for a minute and plugging it back in but that didn't help. How would I change the setting in the router?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You need to contact whoever is the network admin at work to find out why its not connecting wirelessly or via ethernet cable. Since its a business, I can't advise you on how to change settings.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Without knowing how the router is setup, I have no idea. Could be blocking your mac address or not able to give out ip addresses. Talk to your network admin for help.