Can I ..? 1 printer connected to 2 computers 1 USB Y cable?

frldyz

I have 1 printer.
It runs to the computer via USB.

I have multiple computers.
Can I connect 2 ( or more ) computers to this 1 printer via a USB cable? Maybe
a USB Y or spliter cable?

This way I don't have to disconnect the USB cable from 1 computer in order to print something from another.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Nope, what printer do you have? If you have a wireless network, then get a wireless printer. Or you'll have to share the printer from the one pc to all others, but that pc has to stay on all the time when you want to print.

frldyz

I was doing some research online. And several people have said ops where there's a USB cable going from the printer to a USB hub or also called a USB switch box. From that USB switch box if multiple USB ports each port goes to a different computer. And when you want to print from a certain computer you just push that switch on that USB hub and a den signals from the computer to the hub Which goes to the printer. Then if you want to print from a different computer you just click that switch for the hub that's connected to the computer. And all they send a signal to your printer

_Kyle_

Your USB switch box will work. Just remember you will have too manually switch it from the box. If you have an internet enabled printer you wont need the usb. Also look for a USB 3.0 or 3.1 switch box.

beers

Staff member
Alternatively look at a wifi printer where you can add it to any host in your network concurrently without having to switch it.

_Kyle_

Only 1 PC has wifi.
2 of the printers are kept offline. I don't mind pushing the switch.
If you get a switch USB 3.0 or 3.1 would be preferable. They are both much faster than 2.0, with 3.0 being about 10 times faster and 3.1 even more.

beers

Staff member
Only 1 PC has wifi.
It still works if the other PC is hard wired.

If you don't mind the switch then that'd probably be the easiest for you.
If you get a switch USB 3.0 or 3.1 would be preferable. They are both much faster than 2.0, with 3.0 being about 10 times faster and 3.1 even more.
You don't need 5 Gbps to send a printing job. There's no point in paying a premium for a USB 3 switch to send print jobs.

frldyz

Thanks everyone.
Gonna go with this.
https://www.amazon.com/Findway-Prin...957&sr=1-7&keywords=4+port+USB+sharing+switch

41qe6QeYYuL.jpg

4 computers:
1 online ( internet usage only )
1 offline @ all times ( file storage )
1 laptop ( online PRN )
1 linux ( not sure if going to be online or offline.

Why 4 computers? Why not? The laptop is older and convenient PRN.
The internet PC was my 1st build 3 years ago. ( way overkill for internet usage. But it was my 1st build so I went all out. Also at the time of the build my intention was to only have 1 computer. Now I have 4 ).
The offline storage only is something I'm building now. Will only store files, pics and videos only. No need to be online. Plus keeping it offline make me feel more safe and secure.
The linux PC was just for $%#$%@#% and giggles. I found an old HP in my basement and always wanted to try linux. To nervous to make the full conversion right now I decided to install linux on this to play around with.

4 computers needed? No.
4 PC's connected to a USB sharing HUB to 1 printer needed? No.
Fun? Yes.
Don't wait to connect to network ( yes I see the practicalicty ).
thanks everyone for your help and feedback?