Can I add a GPU to this unit with built-in integrated graphic?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There is a low profile space for a dedicated card. So make sure the 1050 is a low profile card.

ssal

There is a low profile space for a dedicated card. So make sure the 1050 is a low profile card.
I'd like to get 4-6 gb ram with the GPU. Do you have anything to recommend?
And do I let it run parallel with the integrated GPU? Or should I turn it off like uninstalling it from device manager?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When you install a dedicated video card it usually disables the onboard unless it has hybrid graphics option in bios. I doubt that one has it. As far as what video card to get, just make sure it's a low profile card. The problem you have is the pc is a slim tower,.only low profile cards will work.

ssal

May be I can purchase this instead of the slim form version. I think I may have more flexibility with a tower.

The i7-4770 is reasonably fast for a 4th generation. I think I can pick up 2x8 gb dimm to bump the ram up to 24 gb total. And add a 250gb SSD. The upgrade cost seems to be manageable.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
May be I can purchase this instead of the slim form version. I think I may have more flexibility with a tower.

The i7-4770 is reasonably fast for a 4th generation. I think I can pick up 2x8 gb dimm to bump the ram up to 24 gb total. And add a 250gb SSD. The upgrade cost seems to be manageable.
That a slim form factor as well. The first line in the overview section tells you.

The HP EliteDesk 800 G1 small form factor desktop is a powerful and affordable machine that features a fourth generation Intel Core i7 quad core processor.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You would have to upgrade the power supply, the 1050ti would need at least a 400 watt psu. Even if you go RX 560 or 570, you'll need a 400-500 watt unit. What is your budget? Maybe someone can find you one with everything you need already.

ssal

You would have to upgrade the power supply, the 1050ti would need at least a 400 watt psu. Even if you go RX 560 or 570, you'll need a 400-500 watt unit. What is your budget? Maybe someone can find you one with everything you need already.
Is there PSU upgrade that would fit the HP 800 G Tower?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The tower should be able to take any standard atx psu. The SFF units require smaller psu's.

ssal

I would start with this machine: It is an HP 800 G tower with i7-4770 (25% more powerful than my current 3rd generation laptops). It has 2TB HHD and 16gb DRAM. Built in integrated GPU.

I will need the following upgrades:
Nvidia GPX 1060 6gb $160
400 watt psu $60 (the original 320 watt cannot support the gpx 1060).
250 gb SSD $60
16 (2x8) gb ram $65 to bump it up to 32gb

The total is about US$750

My objective is to have a machine capable of editing 4K video.

Would the above set up good for it? The newer machine is in the $1200 area, or more.

Would cooling an isssue?
Is DDR3 too slow, vs DDR4?

ssal

I'd never built my own machine. Please help, to stay within the US$750 budge, can you give me some idea what I'll need:
  1. Casing
  2. Motherboard
  3. CPU (Prefer Intel i7 because I am using Adobe Premiere Pro)
  4. GPU (Nvidia GPx 1060, 6gb)
  5. DRAM (DDR3 vs DDR4): Preferrable 32 gb
  6. SSD for boot and software/apps: 250 gb
  7. HHD 2-3TB
  8. PSU 400+ watt
  9. Wifi ?
  10. Wireless keyboad and mouse
Anything else I am missing? Do I need cooling devices for the CPU?

Appreciate suggestions with pricing and link.

Last edited:

ssal

Yeah at a $750 budget that's like a quarter of it in just ram. 16GB is plenty for pretty much most things.

I made a list, unfortunately I was unable to fit a i7 into the budget. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/72kktg
That looks very good. Thank you very much for the detail help.
The AMD CPU seems faster than the i7-7700 by 10%. Hope that would compensate for running Adobe programs.
Do I need a water cooling system for that?