can i do this?

my girlfriends computer doesnt boot to windows. you press the button and it loads and then goes to a black screen and thats it. would i be able to take the hard drive out, put it in an external, format it and then put it back in and then put the windows cd in? either that or her hard drive has a bad sector on the boot files. can i get a couple words of advice?

because it doesnt make it to any booting sequiences, it just gets past bios and blacks out, if you put the windows cd in there it wont get to the process of booting the disk.

cohen

make sure that all the bios is correct.

If i still won't boot then change the bios to have the CD / DVD drive as the main book and then it will boot up off the Windows CD.

One you have done that and windows is working. Change the bios back to the hard drive as the main book drive.

m_gallie1973

It sounds like the hard drive needs to be replaced, i've had that problem before, and it was the hardrive not being any good.

MightyKing

Yes, you can take that drive out and use it as an external drive to format it from another working pc or laptop. Although I would suggest downloading Linux Ubuntu and use it as a bootable cd and use its partitioning tools to format the drive.

Although if you can't boot from cd at all, then go ahead and do the external drive solution.

markus45

Just try to reformat the hard drive and re-install windows and if this does not work maybe you will need to replace the hard drive itself.