Can I get some advice on a new computer?

Thunderfudge

My choices are really 6850 or 6870 for the GPU, as the 460 is more expensive than the 6850 from where I'm buying from, and they don't offer any pre-overclocked ones. A link to the parts list I have to choose from is in the original topic post, if you want a look.

The 6850 sounds like the right GPU if it only plays ~10fps slower than the 6870 because the 6870 is another $55 and I'm already over my desired budget.

Thanks for your help - just one final check on parts before I order:

CPU: AM3 x4 955 -------------------------- $156
Memory: 4G kit DDR3 1333 PQI ------------- $73
Motherboard: AsRock 880GM-LE ------------ $76
Case: Coolermaster SGC2000 Storm Scout -- $118
PSU: Corsair VX550 ------------------------ $98
GFX: 1GB 6850 Powercolor ----------------- $218
HDD: Seagate SATA 1T ------------------ $62
with a SATA Blu-Ray Combo Samsung ------- $59

The case is ok?
This comes to $860 - not too bad I guess. Getting a 6870 would break $900, which I don't really want to spend if I can.

Thanks again for your help =D

Drenlin

No problem man :)

Looks like you've put a solid system together. :good:

edit: The case is great, no worries there.

linkin

VIP Member
Looks nice, well done.

Might want some 1600mhz CAS8 RAM though. really speeds things up (especially the thimings

Thunderfudge

How does '4G Kit ddr3 1600 G.Skill-NQ' sound? Not sure how to tell CAS 8 from others (product list doesn't say).

Edit: Sweet, prices went down =D Now getting the above build (with the old RAM, will possible change) for $12 cheaper. Not much but still...

Last edited:

Thunderfudge

I'm from Australia, buying from an Australian shop. I linked to the parts I have to choose from somewhere in my first post, and you can see all the shops/locations there.

Also, questions I still have:
Is '4G Kit ddr3 1600 G.Skill-NQ' CAS 8?
How's the motherboard I've listed at the top of this page? I heard Asus was better...

Last edited:

tech savvy

I'm from Australia, buying from an Australian shop. I linked to the parts I have to choose from somewhere in my first post, and you can see all the shops/locations there.

Also, questions I still have:
Is '4G Kit ddr3 1600 G.Skill-NQ' CAS 8?
How's the motherboard I've listed at the top of this page? I heard Asus was better...

Asus makes asrock boards, asrock is on the lower-end and asus more high-end.

Drenlin

It's not a "bad" board, but it's certainly no enthusiast board either.

I'd spend a bit less on the case and put the savings into the mobo.

Drenlin

The ASRock 870 Extrme3 is a great board for the price, and will allow you to run a second graphics card later on.

Lian-Li's Lancool K56 (listed as PK-K56) is a great case, and is only $84 on there. That's less expensive than it is on Newegg in the states, which is awesome. It's actually better than the storm scout internally, but it's not as flashy.

The Aerocool Vx-R is also a decent case, bit it focuses more on looks than functionality. It does come with a fan controller, though, which is awesome on a budget case.

Thunderfudge

The ASRock 870 Extrme3 is a great board for the price, and will allow you to run a second graphics card later on.

Lian-Li's Lancool K56 (listed as PK-K56) is a great case, and is only $84 on there. That's less expensive than it is on Newegg in the states, which is awesome. It's actually better than the storm scout internally, but it's not as flashy.

Thanks alot =D

linkin

VIP Member
In case you ever need onboard graphics, an 880G board would be worth looking at... Only saying because faulty GPU's are a pain :)

tech savvy

It's not a "bad" board, but it's certainly no enthusiast board either.

I'd spend a bit less on the case and put the savings into the mobo.

i agree 100%,your case should not be the second most expensive item for that build.for the build you got the case should be in the $40-$80 rang.
maybe the Cooler Master 690 II Basic Black at $69.99 or the Cooler Master II Advanced Black at $79.99(these are U.S prices), dont know about in Australia.

Drenlin

^ Those would be close to the same as the scout, or even more expensive.

In case you ever need onboard graphics, an 880G board would be worth looking at... Only saying because faulty GPU's are a pain :)

Agreed, but they didn't have the 880G exreme3...just the 870. :/

Out of curiosity, TS, why do you have to buy from that store?

tech savvy

^ Those would be close to the same as the scout, or even more expensive.

Agreed, but they didn't have the 880G exreme3...just the 870. :/

Out of curiosity, TS, why do you have to buy from that store?

i dont see how as $118 australian dollars is $115.15 U.S dollars and the CM 690 II Basic is $69.99 U.S and $71.50 in Australian.how is that close or even more??

Drenlin

^ ah

i dont see how as $118 australian dollars is $115.15 U.S dollars and the CM 690 II Basic is $69.99 U.S and $71.50 in Australian.how is that close or even more??

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying? :confised: Only the 690 II advanced is available from his store, and it's $125 AUD, compared to $118 for the Scout, and only $84 for the K56.

The K56 is $80 USD from newegg, with $10 shipping, so $84 in austrailia is pretty good since they usually get screwed.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112235