can I install xp on a vista machine?

fmonte

I am considering buying this computer. Please note, according to the seller it has no OS installed, however he states that it originally had vista premium. Will I have any trouble getting xp pro to run on this machine? Thank you in advance.

Acer Aspire AST180-UD440A Desktop

Memory: 1024MB
Processor Type and Speed: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @2.3GHz
DVD+RW: Dual Layer
Video/Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 6100
Sound Card: Integrated High Definition
Modem: Motorola 56k v.90
Ethernet: Yukon 10/100/1000
USB Ports: 7 (3 front 4 rear)
Firewire Ports: 1 (rear)
Media Reader Slots: 9-in-1
O/S Installed: None
O/S License: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Hard Drive Capacity: 320GB

Items Included:
Desktop Computer
Power Cord
Keyboard
Mouse
Operating System License Key

Items NOT included:
Installed Operating System
Operating System Installation Media
Operating System Restore Partition
Applications / Drivers Disc(s)
User Documentation

epidemik

If theres no OS, then it should just be like a normal fresh install, no matter what os your putting on.

Windows XP should work just fine.

Depending one what you plan on doing with the machine, you may want a new graphics card and a more ram.

fmonte

Great, now I have a question about drivers. I have read many threads where people advise to make sure that you get all updated drivers but how do you get a list of what driver you are going to need from a machine that has no OS installed currently. Thank you.

zaroba

chances are that when you install XP (you'll have to before you can update the drivers anyway) it will detect everything and install drivers for the stuff automatically while the os itself is installing, but it will install old drivers. then you will know exactly what you have by looking in the Device Manager

but, if that doesn't work, then its just a matter of looking in the pc to see what the manufacturer and the model number of the motherboard, etc are and going to those company sites and getting the drivers.

ie, you know its a geforce 6100, so can just goto the nvidia site for an updated driver for windows xp.
the 56k modem is a motorola, so you can probably find a driver for it on the motorola website, but you might need to know its model number.

Last edited: