Can I load XP Professional over Home Edition?

Dart77

Hi, I think I need to reload Windows. I have XP SP 3 Home Edition on a 32bit system, it has been working just great until now, but now windows freezes up every day and nothing works and the only way I can get out of it is by a hard shutdown (holding in the power button for 4 sec).

(system is a simple desktop, about 5 years old with 4Gb Ram)

I can only seem to find access to XP Professional. Can I load this over Home Edition with no problems? Will it change anything and is Professional made for 32 bit or 64?

By the way, my other system is Win 7 and XP is superior in many ways to that (useability), so I am sticking with XP until the last day
Thanks

Darren

Staff member
Activation is tied to the version. You can install it sure but it wont' activate with the product key on the computer.

XP is dead, if you use it on the internet you're only asking for infections. Sounds like a potential hardware issue too. I'd troubleshoot the cause before reinstalling an OS.

Laquer Head

Since Microsoft forces updates anyhow they should just auto-upgrade people on obsolete O/S to the most current without their consent.

Dart77

Activation is tied to the version. You can install it sure but it wont' activate with the product key on the computer.

XP is dead, if you use it on the internet you're only asking for infections. Sounds like a potential hardware issue too. I'd troubleshoot the cause before reinstalling an OS.

Ok thanks. Well what's the best way to check the problem then, run a Malware check? It's not hardware related. I have Avast (paid version) and running a scan with that comes up fine.

Since Microsoft forces updates anyhow they should just auto-upgrade people on obsolete O/S to the most current without their consent.
But then we would all be walking around with pig's heads, or rather, sheep's. baa baaa. Oink Oink

Last edited by a moderator:

timekiller89

Yeah, 4 GB of RAM should be enough to run Windows 10 pretty well. If you really want to use XP after that just load it in VirtualBox (since VMWare has annoying sound bugs in W10 running 2000 or XP guests).