Can I make a build this cheap

Lanther

Was looking at Fry's earlier today and they had an Acer machine for $529 with the following specs

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q8300 2.50GHz
8GB DDR2 800MHz
1TB SATA Drive
16x DVDRW
NVIDIA GeForce GT220 1GB Dedicated Video Memory

I played around some on Newegg and haven't been able to put together a build to match the price. How do you think this system would be for gaming?

Cams

Alot of times it is hard to beat OEMs if you dont already have an OS or maybe some other parts like an HDD. I am not very good at the builds though so I cant help you there. I am sure somebody will be able to get abuild together for you.

BTW if you were willing to sacrifise your current build in your sig hen ou could pull it off.

Drenlin

You can build a good one for that, though the specs will be a bit different. Can't link from my phone but an amd phenom II or athlon II quad, 4GB DDR3 ram, and a radeon hd4xxx of some sort should do it.

You won't use 8gb of ddr2...

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

Hard to build anything decent with $500 including Windows, but you'll need to add a graphics card to that build anyway to game, so might as well build one.

Drenlin

...I'm eating my words. The cheapest quad rig I can get one on newegg using current parts is like $600 with windows. I could probably drop that down to 550-ish with a smaller hard drive and a cheaper case, but still....

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
It'll do poorly for gaming if you don't upgrade that graphics card. If you decide to upgrade the graphics card you'll also have to upgrade the power supply as the stock one will surely struggle to power any high end cards.

joh06937

yeah, you will almost NEVER use 8 gb of ram. the gtx 220 is a joke (in my opinion). the hard drive is good and the processor should be ok, but you could do a lot better. why does microsoft have to screw us over for the os's? i doubt it really costs that much the reproduce...