Can I open win98 HD program using usb to win7?

positron

Getting prepared here. Got a usb/HD adapter ordered to connect my win98 hd to my win7 computer. Can I open a program in the win98 HD and run it?

I ask because I installed my very old program in win7 and it opened, but I only have 13 opens left, as I need to register. However, when I clicked on the link to register, there is no such page anymore to register to. So I am very limited in what I can do and when.

Thanks for any help.

pos

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Some programs will run by doing that, but most won't. Just depends on the program.

positron

Thanks John. Do I need to set the win98 HD jumper to master, slave, cable, remove jomper,,, or does it matter?

I know I am asking before I have received the adapter, just preparing.

Thanks.

pos

positron

Thank you for your time and expertise John.

I received my adapter earlier than I was suppose to, in fact this morning.
Turns out I was lucky and able to open the program using the win98 hd. There is no 13 opens left before I have to register it.

I went into program files (x86), and found the .exe file in the win98 drive.

But after I opened it, I had to import the backup, don't know why, but it worked. Seems to work ok, so I guess I have accomplished my goal.

Again, thank you John. Much appreciated.

cheers
pos

positron

John, I checked and found the Dallas DS 12887A chip has an internal battery. No wonder I could not find the battery.
http://www.microbattery.com/cmos-ds12887a-clock-chip-internal-battery

"This is a combination clock and configuration memory chip with internal battery."

I saw the clock did not advance overnight when I checked.
1. I take it that this battery also keeps bios working?

2. Even if I install a new Dallas chip, will the bios chip have to be flashed again? (When the computer is powered on, it does see the hds, and load the parameters if I wish. It just won't keep the parameters.)

You made a great call John.

pos

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The battery will keep the time, date and bios settings in tact while machine is off. The bios chip should be different then the battery chip. In fact the bios chip is the one next to the dallas chip with the yellow sticker on it.

positron

Since I lost battery voltage, will I have to "flash" the bios chip if I install a new battery/Dallas chip?

Thanks John.

steve

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No.You'll just have to setup any values you have before. The battery just saves all the settings while the machine is off.

positron

I know I have taken some valuable time from your other duties John. Just want to thank you again for your expertise and time.

Have a great week.

pos