Can i put a gtx 750 ti in a Dell OptiPlex 3050MT.

Agent Smith

It looks like it's small form factor, meaning you'll need a small form factor GPU. To make matters worse, you'll need an adequate PSU upgrade to handle a new GPU.

I'd steer clear of OEM computers and just buy something else pre-built or buy the parts and put it togather or have a computer shop build it for you.

_Pete_

I don't think it's small form factor but it is a cheap general purpose computer. Low on RAM, old tech CPU, and, as said, probably having a cheap low power PSU. If you want to add a highish end graphics card you will want to be gaming and you aint gonna be doing much gaming on that. But for writing letters it will be fine as it stands.

Knuggle

It looks like it's small form factor, meaning you'll need a small form factor GPU. To make matters worse, you'll need an adequate PSU upgrade to handle a new GPU.

I'd steer clear of OEM computers and just buy something else pre-built or buy the parts and put it togather or have a computer shop build it for you.
Since I really don't know much about computers does that mean the GPU will fit and work? Sorry I'm really bad at computer stuff. Thank you.

_Pete_

A small form factor computer means that the metal bracket that holds a daughter board, something like a GPU, onto the main board is only, roughly, half the height of a full sized board. Therefore it will not fit. I don't think that is a small form factor computer but Agent Smith is probably right in as much that you will need a more powerful power supply. The other possible problem with Dell stuff is that their computers tend to use specific power supplies which are difficult to obtain, expensive and normally low power.

To be honest, and I am not trying to be nasty with this comment, if you need to ask these questions I would think you would be better off, again as Agent Smith has pointed out, going to a local computer builder guy, telling him exactly what you want and asking him for a price. Dells tend to be general purpose computers and not easily up-gradeable.

Darren

Staff member
Hate to break it to you guy but that's definitely not small form factor. I've worked on these machines and they can fit full height cards. PSU would be iffy though, a 750TI should be ok though.

This computer from his link.

item_XXL_24111493_35237963.jpg

It's small but still full height.

DELL-OPTIPLEX8-6.jpg

Knuggle

A small form factor computer means that the metal bracket that holds a daughter board, something like a GPU, onto the main board is only, roughly, half the height of a full sized board. Therefore it will not fit. I don't think that is a small form factor computer but Agent Smith is probably right in as much that you will need a more powerful power supply. The other possible problem with Dell stuff is that their computers tend to use specific power supplies which are difficult to obtain, expensive and normally low power.

To be honest, and I am not trying to be nasty with this comment, if you need to ask these questions I would think you would be better off, again as Agent Smith has pointed out, going to a local computer builder guy, telling him exactly what you want and asking him for a price. Dells tend to be general purpose computers and not easily up-gradeable.
Thanks

Knuggle

Hate to break it to you guy but that's definitely not small form factor. I've worked on these machines and they can fit full height cards. PSU would be iffy though, a 750TI should be ok though.

This computer from his link.

item_XXL_24111493_35237963.jpg

It's small but still full height.

DELL-OPTIPLEX8-6.jpg
Thanks