Can I replace a heatsink...

clquestor

Dell E510...It has an all-in-one heatsink/front exhauste fan with a black plastic air flow director over it. I would like to remove that black piece and put a better heatsink on as I have upgraded video card and ram for gaming. Can a heatsink on a factory computer be replaced with an aftermarket heatsink? Is the socket 775 for Pentium D universal...so any motherboard with socket 775 can take any 775 heatsink or has dell made a mod to the motherboard that restricts any consumer mod? Also, are all power connections for this socket the same?

jonnyp11

should work, but i don't see a pentium d even with a nice gpu going far as bottlenecks will occur or that's what i think and i'm on one now. and unless overclocking there should be no need for an upgraded cooler

clquestor

Thanks, then I have another question...I had an old dell and the airflow director was removable. On this Dell, it looks like the heatsink and airflow director are one piece. Any knowledge on that?

Casey

Well if it's in one piece I don't actually see a problem with just throwing out that black director airflow piece as other computers such as mine don't have one. Just make sure you have efficient fans and a case with quality/decent airflow before you do so and be sure to monitor your CPU's temperaturs with a programs such as speedfan and such. ;)

old_school

should work, but i don't see a pentium d even with a nice gpu going far as bottlenecks will occur or that's what i think and i'm on one now. and unless overclocking there should be no need for an upgraded cooler

Bottlenecks only occur on Networks not a CPU or BUS line of a circut board. just pointing that out for ya. To the other guy, try Frys eletronics if you have one near you. If not try tiger direct.com for parts. Pretty good places for parts. Thats where I go when I buy parts for my clients.

jonnyp11

Bottlenecks only occur on Networks not a CPU or BUS line of a circut board. just pointing that out for ya. To the other guy, try Frys eletronics if you have one near you. If not try tiger direct.com for parts. Pretty good places for parts. Thats where I go when I buy parts for my clients.

neegg is the best for parts, and always have great deals, and i was saying that if he wants to game, a pentium d might bottleneck his gpu in games or anything if he has a good gpu, cuz i have a pentium dual-core and it sucks, but 2.2ghz doesn't help.