Can I run it?

anbo369

So I've found myself in a position to pick up an ATI 4870x2 for quite cheap, however I'm not sure If my PSU has the guts to run it.

I've got a zalman Lean Green ZM600-ST. This is a 600w psu with dual 30A 12v rails. The 4870x2 is rated at needing a 650W psu, but I've read that 600w psu's have been fine in the past as it only draws 444W under full load.
Now I'm just wondering if the dual 30A 12v rails fulfill the amperage requirements for the 4870x2. Can I add the two 12v rails to get 60A?

the rest of my computer is in my sig, so if that is of importance let me know

Thanks for reading!

spirit

Staff member
I would upgrade your power supply to something of higher quality. A Corsair TX 650 V2 or a CX 700 should do it. The Zalman unit is probably OK, but I'd get something better quality and slightly higher wattage.

Never skimp on the power supply, always get the best quality you can.

anbo369

Thanks for the reply!

I should have said this in original post (sorry :p), but I'm not interested in upgrading my psu. So if it can't run the 4870x2, I'll just go without and stick with what I've got.

So what do you think I should do, upgrade my gpu or would you recommend to just leave it?

cheers man! :D

spirit

Staff member
Thanks for the reply!

I should have said this in original post (sorry :p), but I'm not interested in upgrading my psu. So if it can't run the 4870x2, I'll just go without and stick with what I've got.

So what do you think I should do, upgrade my gpu or would you recommend to just leave it?

cheers man! :D
I would consider upgrading to a less power-hungry GPU, such as a Radeon 7850/7870/7950. Those would be fine on a 600W PSU.

Pretty sure the 7850/70 and 7950 would be better cards than the 4870 X2. Much newer and less power-hungry.

anbo369

I would consider upgrading to a less power-hungry GPU, such as a Radeon 7850/7870/7950. Those would be fine on a 600W PSU.

Pretty sure the 7850/70 and 7950 would be better cards than the 4870 X2. Much newer and less power-hungry.

thanks, so I guess it's a no go then XD
The only reason I was interested in upgrading was because I found such a cheap deal, if it wasn't so cheap I wouldn't have cared. :p
perhaps I'll come across a good deal on one of the cards you mentioned :D

thanks for all the help guys!