Can I run Linux Mint w/ 970 GPU?

frldyz

Can I run Mint on 3 monitors w/ i7 & GTX 970?

Forgive me if this is a newb. Linux question. But I am a newb. Linux user.

I have been playing around with mint on an old computer that I had laying around in the basement. But I'd like to replace my Win 7 with mint on my main computer

I'm asking this simple question because I recall reading that getting your graphics card to work w/ mint is a nightmare?

I7 4790k
MSI GTX 970 GPU
Gigabyte gaming 3 mobo
16gb Crucial RAM

*I'm not a gamer. So why do I have a 970? I thought it looked cool, the color scheme matches my set-up and I have 3 144mhz monitors.

**Why do I have 3 144mhz monitor if I don't game? They were dirt cheap on sale thru newegg.

*** This computer is used ONLY for online browsing. No gaming. No streaming. No movies or netflix. No wifi. No file storage. Youtube, forums, articles, emails pretty much only.

Thanks everyone.

i am running an 8 multi-monitor on linux mint

i have lots of experience with linux mint and multi-monitors

... yes it was a pain 2 years ago, now it's a lot more simple, nvidia has improved the drivers alot,

2 years ago, i was using a gtx 970 for 4 monitors and i had some problems, the nvidia drivers werent any good, i think the latest drivers are fine now,

the nouveau drivers werent any better,

but now the drivers are much better, pretty much plug and play,

but the only version that worked for me was linux mint xfce,

then i tried gtx 970 and gt 640 together, that was the worst, i was able to accomplish it but it wasn't easy, its much harder when you have two different card models,

eventually after a year, i wanted to see what happens if you have 2 cards of the same model and i ordered another gt 640, and boom! so easy, no problems , 8 monitors worked fine,

i eventually bought another gtx 970 and works fine for 8 monitors as well, on linux if you use 2 cards , use the same models,

im still using both of my gt 640's for multi monitor on linux mint, looking to get a third card for 4 more monitors,

i dont use my gtx 970's for multi monitors because i am mining with them on my mining rig, but eventually i will switch back to my gtx 970's and buy a third one,

on windows, i had 4 different model video cards and boom! plug and play it worked! easy as pie, windows is king for multi-monitor

but i love linux mint, havent used windows in years, i only windows 7 and 10 on virtual machines

so to answer your question:

yes you can run ,Mint on 3 monitors w/ i7 & GTX 970