Can I use a Dell QLE2462 2 LC port PCI-E card (for servers) inside a Windows 10 computer?

vintageaxeman

I am desperately trying to use fibre wherever possible.
I discovered that there were PCI-E cards available with SFC cages and LC ports, and bought one from Dell, a QLE2462, to fit into my Win10 computer. However when I went onto Dell's site to get drivers, it said it was suitable for Servers. Ah, I thought, but I'll give it a go. So I tried to download the driver, but it uninstalled itself, presumably as it wasn't suitable.
Or CAN one of these be used? Anyone know? Or is there a similar, reasonably priced option?
Thank you in advance....

vintageaxeman

FC means?.....
I have a discrete network for my hifi system, and have found benefits in isolating my hifi from the rest of the house's wireless and wired network by doing so. There is so much RF and EMI generated within a network by tvs, phones, wifi, routers, switches, etc., and fibre connections put a stop to that. I have some ethernet to fibre converters which are in use, and as I am building a discrete computer specifically to run 'Roon', and to control my music, I wanted to try using a fibre input directly into this computer, rather than having a fibre to ethernet converter just before it.
So I presume that from your comment, beers, that the QLE2462 could not be used? Is there such a card that could be used?

beers

Staff member
There is so much RF and EMI generated within a network by tvs, phones, wifi, routers, switches, etc.
Not really. Those are completely insignificant from the perspective of a usual copper ethernet cable.
FC means?.....
Fibre Channel, which is used for block level storage in a SAN style setup. Those don't speak Ethernet like the rest of your network gear does.
So I presume that from your comment, beers, that the QLE2462 could not be used? Is there such a card that could be used?
Pretty much, unless you're trying to push fibre channel block data to another computer as a storage backend.

A lot of people use some of the Mellanox Connect-X cards for 10G via SFP+ or Twinax. For 1 gig it's kind of a wasted effort unless you need extra distance.